NameLady Cessford & Caverton , F
Spouses
Birth Dateabt 1435
Birth PlaceCessford, Roxburghshire, Scotland
Death Date25 Nov 1501
Death PlaceCessford, Roxburghshire, Scotland
ChildrenRobert , M (~1460-<1500)
 Mark , M (-1551)
 Ralph , M
 Elizabeth , F (~1470-)
 Margaret , F
Notes for Lady Cessford & Caverton
He [Walter] is said to have married:

(1) first, Isabel, daughter of John, Lord Hay of Yester, but the dates will not admit to this and the name of his first wife is uncertain;

It is probable, judging from dates, that Walter Ker’s children were by his first marriage.

He had issue:

1. Sir Robert Ker of Caverton, who, as Robert Ker, younger of Cessford, was joint tenant with his father in Bourhope, and in Eststeid of Windydurris in 1484. …
2. Mark, of Dolphingston, Maxton, and Littledean
3. Ralph, mentioned in 1494 as brother of Sir Robert Ker of Caverton.
4. Elizabeth, married, first … to Phillip Rutherford, … apparent heir of James Rutherford of that Ilk, … secondly, to Sir Walter Scott of Buccleuch. …
5. Margaret, contracted in marriage to Andrew Macdougal … did not take place

Walter married:

(2) secondly, after 1487, Agnes Crichton, daughter of William, Lord Crichton, Chancellor of Scotland, and widow of Alexander Lord Glamis.

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol VII, Edinburgh, 1906, pp. 326-32.———————————————
Notes for Walter (Spouse 1)
Walter Ker of Caverton, second, but eldest surviving son of Andrew Ker of Altonburn and Cessford, succeeded his father some time after 8 May 1481.

As Walter Ker, ‘scutifer’ [squire], he witnessed a charter of John, Lord Haliburton, 30 December 1449. He had a charter from William Douglas, Lord of Cavers, 4 August 1450, granting to his nephew or grandson, Walter Ker, son of Andrew Ker, his whole lands of Blackpule.

The name of Walter Ker comes first in the remainter of the Crown charter of Cessford granted to his father, Andrew Ker, 27 April 1467. He is designed son and apparent heir of Andrew Ker of Cessford in an acknowledgement by Henry Wardlaw of Torry of the sum of 240 merks, received for his lands of Hownam from Walter Ker, 20 May 1468.

On 14 May 1471, a precept of sasine was granted by John, Lord Lindsay, for the infeftment of Walter, son and apparent heir of Andrew Ker of Cessford, in the lands of Borthwichshield and Hardenwode. He had a charter, 15 May 1571, on the resignation of his father, of the lands of Hindhope from William, Lord Abernethy, to be held to him, whom failing, to his brothers, Thomas, William and Ralph Ker, and the heirs-male of their bodies respectively in succession.

On 31 May 1473, he had a Crown charter to him and his heirs of the third part of the lands of Caverton, resigned by John Fotheringham. He had charter of the barony and castle of Cessford, including the lands of the barony of Auld Roxburgh, the lands of Altonburn and Prymside, etc., with 18 Husbandlands in the ‘vill’ and territory of Smallholm, with remainder to his brothers, Thomas, William, and Ralph, and the lawful heirs-male of their bodies, respectively, failing whom, to the heirs whatsoever of the said Andrew, on the resignation of his father, 5 April 1474.

Walter, Ker, designed of Caverton, and Lord of Howman, founded and endowed from these lands on 5 December 1475, a perpetual chaplaincy at the altar of St. Katherine the Virgin within the monastery church of Kelso for the soul of the late King James II, for his own soul, etc. this chaplaincy, he further, on 20 october 1488, endowed from his lands of Ault Roxburgh, when he had becomd Laird of Cessford. His charter was confirmed by King James IV, 20 November 1488.

He was appointed, on 31 March 1478, to accompany his brother, the Abbot of Kelso, Lyon King of Arms, and others, as excort to the almoner of King Edward IV, from the Tweed to the presence of King James III.

On 1 October 1478, Robert, Abbot of Kelso, conferred upon Walter Ker, for his services, and specially in recompense for his gift to the Abbey of fuel from the moor of Caverton for the Abbey, the offices of Justiciar and Baillie of the whole lands of the barony of Kelso, and the lands and lordships of Sprouston and Redden, of the barony of Bowden, and other lands of the Abbey in Roxburghshire, Berwickshire, Edinburgh, and in the constabulary of Haddington, with a fee of £10 Scots yearly from the lands of Bowden, to be held to the said Walter Ker, failing whom, to his brothers, Thomas, william, and Ralph, and to the heirs-male of the body of each in succession. Walter Ker had, on 8 May 1481, a second charter of the barony and castle of Cessford, etc.

On 7 August 1484, Walter Ker, now of Cessford, had a charter from King James III of the 20 merk lands of Caverton, forfeited by Robert, Lord Boyd.

He was one of the Commissioners for settling Border dispute with the English of the East and Middle Marches, 22 September 1484.

The name of Walter Ker of Cessford does not appear prominently in the civil troubles of the next four years in Scotland, but the side he took may be inferred from the date and wording of the Crown charter granted to him by King James IV, 3 August 1488, for the singular favour borne him by the King, and in reward for eminent services, of the castle of Roxurgh, and the right of patronage of the Hospital of the Maison Dieu of Roxburgh, a grant repeated on 20 February 1499-1500.

He was tenant in this reign, as he had been in the previous reign, of Bourhope and eststeid, of Windydurris in Ettrick Forest, and wasl allowed to receive the petty customs of Jedburgh.

He was one of the Scots Commissioners who signed a three-years’ truce with England at Coldstream, 23 October 1488, and one of King James IV’s ambassadors to England, who had safe-conduct and protection for three months 22 October 1491.

He had a Crown charter to him and heirs whatsoever, of the third part of the lands of Caverton, resigned by John Hundolee, 7 January 1491-92. He sat in Parliament 6 February 1491-92, and on 17 October 1492, was appointed one of the Scots Commissioners to treat for a prorogation of truce, and was again an envoy to England 28 July 1493.

On 13 March 1493-94, Walter Ker of Cessford had a Crown charter of the lands and barony of Cessford, resigned by William Cockburn of Strivlyne. On 6 November 1500, King James IV confirmed a charter by which Walter Ker of Cessford, Lord of Caverton, founded and endowed a perpetual chaplaincy in the chapel of Caverton, from his lands of Caverton, for the benefit of the body and soul of the King, of his own soul, and the soul of his son, Sir Robert Ker, lately deceased.

He was apparently Warden of the Middle Marches after the death of his son, Sir Robert Ker, who had held that office, as his fee as Warden was paid 1501-2, and he must have acted on different occasions in that capacity, as the fee of the Earl of Bothwell, then Wardon of the Marches, was paid to him in 1490 and 1492.

He is said to have died on the Festival of St. Ketherine, the Virgin, 25 November 1501.

He is said to have married:

(1) first, Isabel, daughter of John, Lord Hay of Yester, but the dates will not admit to this and the name of his first wife is uncertain;

It is probable, judging from dates, that Walter Ker’s children were by his first marriage.

He had issue:

1. Sir Robert Ker of Caverton, who, as Robert Ker, younger of Cessford, was joint tenant with his father in Bourhope, and in Eststeid of Windydurris in 1484. …
2. Mark, of Dolphingston, Maxton, and Littledean
3. Ralph, mentioned in 1494 as brother of Sir Robert Ker of Caverton.
4. Elizabeth, married, first … to Phillip Rutherford, … apparent heir of James Rutherford of that Ilk, … secondly, to Sir Walter Scott of Buccleuch. …
5. Margaret, contracted in marriage to Andrew Macdougal … did not take place

Walter married:

(2) secondly, after 1487, Agnes Crichton, daughter of William, Lord Crichton, Chancellor of Scotland, and widow of Alexander Lord Glamis.

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol VII, Edinburgh, 1906, pp. 326-32.
———————————————
Last Modified 23 Feb 2016Created 9 Jan 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh