NameStephen de CRICHTON Of Carnis / Cairns , M
Birth Dateabt 1362
Birth PlaceCrichton, Midlothian, Scotland
Death Dateaft 1434
Death PlaceCairns, Midlothian, Scotland
MotherLady Crichton , F
Spouses
ChildrenGeorge , M (~1409-1454)
 James , M (~1431-)
Notes for Stephen de CRICHTON Of Carnis / Cairns
William de Crichton, dominus ejusdem, succeeded prior to 1357, acquired Dryfesdale prior to 1361, Brunstane and Welshton in 1373 and Bradewood in 1375.

He was dead prior to 1393,

having had issue:


1. Sir John, his successor.

2. Stephen of Carnis or Cairns.

3. Humphrey, who circa 1416, received from his brother, Sir John, a charter of the lands of Bagthrop, the byres, and others, in the holding of Carruthers in Annandale.
4. Thomas
5. Edward.

It seems probable that Thomas and Edward were the children of a second marriage, and that their mother was the Margaret, spouse of umquile [deceased] William Crichton who, on 20 July 1410, obtained a charter of Gilberton. From one of these two brothers was descended the family of Brunstane, now represented by the Earl of Erne.

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol III, Edinburgh, 1906, pp. 56-7.
------------------------------

Stephen Crichton of the Caris or Cairns, whose ruined castle may still be seen midway between Edinburgh and Lanark, is said to have been the second son of William de Crichton, dominus ejusdem, who was alive in 1382, and younger brother of Sir John Crichton, de eodem, who was the father of William, first Lord Crichton. He acquired the land of Little Denny in Herbertshire in 1410.

On 2 February 1418, he was witness to a charter by Robert, Duke of Albany, confirmed 27 October 1428.

He was Sheriff of Linlithgow in 1432, and was alive on 4 January 1433-34, when, along with James Parkle of Linlithgor, he granted letters of obligation in favour of Andrew Ker of Altonburn, in connection with the lands of Borthwickshiels, where Andrew had acquired from George of Crichtone of the Blaknes.

He had at least two sons:

1. George.
2. James of Ruthven.
On 29 April 1452 he received a grant for his life of the King’s lands of Rothvene, …

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol II, Edinburgh, 1906, pp. 323-24
------------------------------

Cairns Castle was the seat of the Crichtons of Cairns. In 1418 a Stephan de Crechtoun is described as “de Carnis”, and it is thought that his son, George de Crychtoun, built Cairns Castle around 1440. George would later be created Earl of Caithness in 1452 by James II.

Source: http://www.stravaiging.com/history/castle/cairns-castle
————————————————
Last Modified 26 Feb 2016Created 9 Jan 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh