NameEarl William COMYN of Badenoch, then Buchan , M
Birth Dateabt 1184
Birth PlaceBadenoch, Inverness-Shire, Scotland
Death Date1233
Death PlaceBuchan, Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Burial Date1233
Burial PlaceBuchan, Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Burial MemoAbbey of Deer
Spouses
Birth Dateabt 1190
Birth PlaceBuchan, Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Death Dateabt 1243
Death PlaceBuchan, Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Marr Dateabt 1205
ChildrenAlexander , M (~1206-1289)
 Idonea , F (~1215-)
 Elizabeth , F (~1215-1267)
Notes for Earl William COMYN of Badenoch, then Buchan
William Comyn, Earl of Buchan, had inherited his father’s estates in Scotland, and the manor of Thornton, in Tyndale, in Northumberland.

In 1200 he was sent by William the Lion to John, King of England, on a friendly mission after his accession to the throne.

Between 1211 and 1214, along with his wife, the Countess, he granted to the church of St. Thomas the Martyr at Arbroath the revenue of the Church of Buthelny (Old meldrum), and in 1219, he founded the Cistercian Abbey of Deer, in Buchan, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, on or near the site of the old Columban monastery.

He was Justiciar of Scotland, and in this capacity, he put down a rebellion in Moray, headed by Guthred, in 1211, and again in 1229 he crushed another rebellion in the same didtrict. He was also sheriff of Forfarshire.

In 1221, along with other nobles, he was a witness to the marriage-contract between Alexander II and the Princess Joan, sister of Henry III of England.

The Earl died in 1233, and according to tradition he was buried before the high altar of the church of the Abbey of Deer, which he had founded.

By his marriage with the Countess of Buchan

he had issue:

1. Alexander, who succeeded his mother in the earldom.
2. Sir William.
3. Fergus, mentioned in the foundation charter of the Hospital of Turriff …
4. Idonea, married (before her father’s death) to Sir Gilbert Hay
5. Elizabeth, married to William, Earl of Mar. She died in 1267.
6. Agnes, who is said to have been married to Philip Meldrum of that Ilk. She and her husband had a dispute with the monks of Arbroath in 1263.

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol II, Edinburgh, 1906, p. 252-4.
------------------------------

William Comyn was twice married; the name of his first wife had not been ascertained.

By his first wife he had issue:

1. Richard
2. Walter, who married about 1230, Isabella, Countess of Menteith, and became Earl of Menteith.
3. Jean, married to William, Earl of Ross, who died in 1274.

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol I, Edinburgh, 1906, p.505.
------------------------------
Notes for Marjory / Margaret (Spouse 1)
V. Marjory or Margaret, Fergus’ daughter and heiress, succeeded before 1211, as between that date and 1214, King William the Lion confirmed a grant by her of the church of Turrif to the abbey of Aberbrothoc. Though the Mormaers and Celtic Earls of Bucan must have resided within the districts under their jurisdiction, Countess Marjory had a manor near Leuchars in Fife.

In or before 1214 she was married to William Comyn, eldest son of Richard Comyn and his wife, Hextilda, who then became Earl of Buchan in her right and took part in the coronation of Alexander II 5 December 1214. It had been stated that Marjory was a widow when she married Comyn, but this seems to be erroneous, and the charter in which she refers to herself as a widow appears to be dated between 1233 and 1236, after Comyn’s death.

William Comyn, Earl of Buchan, had inherited his father’s estates in Scotland, and the manor of Thornton, in Tyndale, in Northumberland. In 1200 he was sent byWilliam the Lion to John, King of england, on a friendly mission after his accession to the throne.

Between 1211 and 1214, along with his wife, the Countess, he granted to the church of St. Thomas the Martyr at Arbroath the revenue of the Church of Buthelny (Old meldrum), and in 1219, he founded the Cistercian Abbey of Deer, in Buchan, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, on or near the site of the old Columban monastery.

He was Justiciar of Scotland, and in this capacity, he put down a rebellion in Moray, headed by Guthred, in 1211, and again in 1229 he crushed another rebellion in the same didtrict. He was also sheriff of Forfarshire.

In 1221, along with other nobles, he was a witness to the marriage-contract between Alexander II and the Princess Joan, sister of Henry III of England.

The Earl died in 1233, and according to tradition he was buried before the high altar of the church of the abbey of Deer, which he had founded.

Countess Marjory survived her husband; in 1236 she participated in the settlement of a dispute in the Abbot of Arbroath regarding lands in Tarves, and her son, Alexander Comyn, is styled heir of Buchan in 1242, but she died soon after, as he was Earl before August 1244.

William Comyn was twice married; the name of his first wife had not been ascertained.


By his marriage with the Countess of Buchan

he had issue:

1. Alexander, who succeeded his mother in the earldom.
2. Sir William.
3. Fergus, mentioned in the foundation charter of the Hospital of Turriff …
4. Idonea, married (before her father’s death) to Sir Gilbert Hay
5. Elizabeth, married to William, Earl of Mar. She died in 1267.
6. Agnes, who is said to have been married to Philip Meldrum of that Ilk. She and her husband had a dispute with the monks of Arbroath in 1263.

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol II, Edinburgh, 1906, p. 252-4.
------------------------------
Notes for UNNAMED (Spouse 2)
William Comyn was twice married; the name of his first wife had not been ascertained.

By his first wife he had issue:

1. Richard
2. Walter, who married about 1230, Isabella, Countess of Menteith, and became Earl of Menteith.
3. Jean, married to William, Earl of Ross, who died in 1274.

Source: THE SCOTS PEERAGE, ed. by Sir James Balfour Paul, Vol I, Edinburgh, 1906, p.505.
------------------------------
Last Modified 30 Jun 2015Created 9 Jan 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh