NameWilliam GIBSON ®1, M
Birth Date25 Apr 1845
Birth PlaceKilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland
Death Date10 Dec 1932 ®4
Death PlaceAshley, Uintah, Utah, United States
Burial Date14 Dec 1932
Burial PlaceAshley, Uintah, Utah, United States
Burial MemoGibson Private Cemetery; body later moved to Vernal Cemetery, GRV11782
OccupationFarmer, Sheriff
ResidenceAshley, Uintah, Utah, United States
ReligionThe Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints
Military ServiceBlack Hawk Indian War, Utah
Cause of deathCerelbral Hemorrhage, Senility ®4
FlagsMilitary, Utah Pioneer
FatherRobert GIBSON , M (~1819-)
MotherEliza Campbell BROWN , F (1820-1890)
Birth Date11 Sep 1851
Birth PlaceSalt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory, United States
Death Date19 Jan 1935 ®4
Death PlaceAshley, Uintah, Utah, United States
Burial Date24 Jan 1935
Burial PlaceAshley, Uintah, Utah, United States
Burial MemoGibson Private Cemetery; body later moved Vernal Cemetery, GRV11749
ResidenceAshley, Uintah, Utah
Cause of deathCardiac Decompensation, Old Age ®4
FatherJohn LAMBERT , M (1820-1893)
MotherAdelia GROESBECK , F (1822-1910)
Marr Date6 May 1872
Marr PlaceSalt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States
ChildrenJames Lambert , M (1873-1945)
 Mary Eliza , F (1875-1950)
 Sarah Adelia , F (1881-1970)
Notes for William GIBSON
LDS Church Membership Record:
Name: William Gibson
Gender: Male
Birth: 1845-04-25, Killmarnock, Scotland
Death: 1963-12-11
Spouse: Mary Adelia Lambert
LDS Bap: 1855

(son of Robert Gisbon and Eliza Campbell Brown, of Ireland, later a pioneer 1860). He was born April 25, 1845, Killmarnock, Scotland. Came to Utah Aug. 9, 1860, Captain Warren Walling company.

Married Mary Adelia Lambert May 6, 1872, Salt Lake City (daughter of John Lambert and Adelia Groesbeck, the former born in Lancashire, Engl, the latter in Trumball Col, Ohio--pioneers 1850). She was born Sept. 11 1851 Salt Lake City. Their children: James Lambert, m. Sarah Hame Pope; Mary Eliza, m. Nelson G. Sowards; Sarah Adelia, m. David C. Eccles. Family resided Salt Lake City, Kamas, Ashley and Vernal, Utah.

Steeled in Salt Lake 1860; hauled rock for the Salt Lake temple of the LDS church. Moved to Kamas in 1864 and to Vernal 1877, but during years 1860 to 1868 made seven trips across plains with many of the famous characters of that time, bringing back immigrants and supplies to Utah. Captain in Utah militia 1865-70, served in Black Hawk war, and in many campaigns and skirmishes with Indians when necessary. One of the builders of the forts at Peoa and Kamas; constable and school trustee at latter place and at Ashley, six years each; first sheriff of Uintah county, being a constable when county was organized, was made acting sheriff. Member first and second sessions of Utah legislature from 12th district. Stockman and rancher.

Source: Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, Esshom, p. 888.

From Builders of Uintah, DUP, 1947:
p. 19
“Born in Killmarnock, Scotland, April 25, 1845 of Scotch Irish parentage. He emigrated to America with his parents in 1852 on a sailing vessel called “Gull in the Air” and was three months making the journey. They moved to Ashley Valley in 1877 and settled in Ashley ward.
“He was appointed Uintah County’s first constable preceding the first election. He was elected to the first State Legislature in 1896. While acting as State Representative he conceived the idea to paint “Remember the Maine” on the face of a high cliff in Ashley Canyon which is still visible on the face of a 500-foot cliff.
“He was the father of three children: J. L. Gibson, Mrs. N. G. Sowards and Sarah A. Eccles.
“He died Dec. 11 1932 and is buried in the Gibson private cemetery.”

Ibid, p. 10

“During the coming summer autumn of 1876 and 1877, a number of persoms moved in. among them were Mr. and Mrs. William Gibson...The Gibsons and Dodds had stores on their ranches; later Gibsons moved their store to old Ashley Town... William Britt taught school in and old schoolhouse on Gibson’s farm in 1878.”

Ibid, p. 12

“Mr. and Mrs. William Gibson landed here [Ashley Valley] from Kamas on the first day of November, 1877. They brought 35 head of cattle and enough provisions to do them for a year or more. The winter was very mild and they lived in a house without doors or windows. While Mr. Gibson was away after supplies two years later, the Indian troubles began over the line in Colorado.

“Mrs. Gibson being afraid, went to Old Ashley Town where the rest of the settlers had gathered. When Mr. Gibson returned he moved their sawed log house which they had built on their ranch during the summer (sawing logs with a whip saw) to Old Ashley Town where they lived for a year, then returned to their ranch. They sold their house in Ashley Town to the county for a courthouse. It was used for this purpose four or five years. The county then moved it to Hatch Town, which is now Vernal, where it was used for many years as a county building.”

From Echoes of Yesterday:

William Gibson, in about 1870, started another sawmill at the mouth of White Pine Canyon. He had his legs so badly broken in an accident at this mill that everyone thought they would have to be amputated. He would not listen to this but had the women of the neighborhood pack his legs in fresh earth. This treatment, all agreed, saved his limbs.
From: Settlements of Uintah County: Digging Deeper

William "Billy" Gibson first saw the virgin Ashley Valley in 1869 from a hill that stretched along the north rim of the valley northeast of Ashley town. He would build a cattle ranch that could be viewed from that ridge. Many years later he later choose a family cemetery site and "dug his own grave in the brow of a rocky ridge a hundred above the valley floor and lined it with six inches of concrete." When Gibson finished his tomb, he took his bed roll and spent the night in the grave. He arose the next morning, stretched the kinks out of his aging muscles, looked up at his three grandsons who stood by the graveside and announced, 'It's a good fit. I slept fine all night.'"

"As he stood on the ridge, Gibson could see his ranch buildings below, his herd of cattle grazing in lush meadowns where he had grubbed head-high sagebrush, bush by bush. He declared, 'That's the view I want to see first come resurrection morning and I want you boys to see that this grave stays where it is after I'm in it.' Fixed with a commanding gaze from the old man's piercing blue eyes, the boys made a promise that they were destined to break thirty-seven years later when the site became part ot Steinaker Dam. Gibson's grandsons, by then prominent men in the community, were forced to exhume the remains of their grandfather and seven other relatives who lay buried in the tiny Gibson graveyard and re-inter them in the Vernal Cemetery."1

In 1898, when the American battleship Maine was blown up in the Havana, Cuba harbor, "Gibson, then a member of the Utah House of Representatives from Uintah County, conceived the idea to paint the motto [Remember the Maine] high on an Ashley Canyon cliff as an enduring tribute that also represented the sentiment of the citizens of Ashley Valley at the time." He paid Leo Voight a sum of fifty dollars to paint the motto on the steep 400 foot cliff. His theory was that if it were high enough off the ground, it would be safe from vandals. Voight, with the help of volunteers who lowered him about 225 feet over the edge of the cliff, painted Remember the Maine using a mixture of lamp black and linseed oil. They thought they had created a memorial that was higher than the Washington Monument which was at that time the highest in the world. But it was later measured and determined to be no more than 400 feet.2

1Burton, Doris Karren, Settlements of Uintah County: Digging Deeper, Uintah County Library, 1998, p. 52.
2 Ibid., p. 143.

Contributed by Marilyn Hersey Brown

Dear Venita, 

I had heard the stories you have about Uncle Billy. Here are some more but I do not know of their authenticity. Uncle Billy and a neighbor got drunk and had a gun fight but were so drunk they could not hit each other. Uncle Billy was so thankful that he had not killed his neighbor that he changed his ways and later became an honored citizen and member of the Utah State Legislature I think the Legislator part is in the big book about Utah Pioneers.

Here's another. He slept in his own grave to see if he liked the place for he and his wife to be buried. He liked it and was buried there. Years later his grave was to be flooded by the reservoir so he and his wife were reburied in a cemetery. A friend of mine from Vernal remembers going with his father to visit Uncle Billy and says Uncle Billy had a window between the original two graves. He also says that part of the original stone wall for Uncle Billy's corral still stands. I heard these stories from my Mother Gladys Lambert Wilkinson. 

Thanks for your work. Cousin Don Wilkinson

Ashley Town
From: History of Pardon Dodds

History - The exact year that Old Ashley Town came into existence is uncertain, but it is known that Pardon Dodds was one of its foremost citizens. He was the first settler in the valley and built the first house in the area. His ranch ran adjacent and just to the north of Old Ashley Town.

Dodds was the valley's first citizen. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1837. He served as a lieutenant in the Ohio Cavalry during the Civil War. After the war he came to Salt Lake City, where he was appointed Indian agent for northeastern Utah in 1867. He first located on the upper Duchesne River, then at Rock Creek and later, on Christmas Day, 1868, he founded Whiterocks and established his agency there. Whiterocks is the oldest settlement in Uintah County, excluding the earlier trading posts. He was commissioned captain during this time and went by the name Captain Dodds the rest of his life.

Later on, Dodds left the agency and moved to Ashley Valley as a stockman, erecting the first house ever built there, in 1873. He became a close friend of Major Powell and went with him on one of his trips down the Green River. In 1880 he was appointed by the legislature as a selectman for Uintah County, an office similar to our county commissioner. Later he was appointed prosecuting attorney for Uintah County by Governor Eli H. Murray.

Captain Dodds's wife was the daughter of A. C. Hatch from Heber, and her relatives helped settle Vernal, or Hatchtown as it was then called.

The Dodds built the first canal in the valley, called the' Dodds Ditch. They were the major builders of the Rock Point Canal. The Gibsons and Fairchilds also worked on the early construction of this canal. For many years it went only as far as the mouth of Steinaker Draw or to where the dam now is located. In those days there was no Steinaker Wash as we now know it, but it was level land; the huge erosion started later. It has been said that William Gibson plowed a furrow from the mouth of Steinaker Draw to the Fairchilds place (near the old Ashley Ward chapel) to divert water from the Rock Point Canal to that property. In following years the upper portion of the property eroded away drastically by the flooding from the nearby hills. This soil was soft and light in nature, having been deposited down through the years from the Red Mountain area, therefore it crumbled and washed away easily. The red dirt can be found to this day many miles down along Spring Creek.

The Rock Point Canal was so named because of a prominent outcropping of rock near its beginning and close to the western end of the rocky reef north of Old Ashley.

Before the coming of the white man, an Indian of some importance must have thought this was a pretty important spot, or at least those responsible for disposing of his remains decided so, because this jutting rock became his burial place. The Dodds family found the remains many years ago.

Old Ashley never wanted for fuel to heat its homes. Wood was abundant along Ashley Creek and coal was mined from under the reef to the north. Both the Dodds and Gibsons operated coal mines on their property. Later there were other coal mines along the reef to the northeast and some in what was known as coal mine basin above Maeser.

Some of the early residents were single men who moved here and later married and brought in their wives. A few single women came into the valley, but these were rare.
Census notes for William GIBSON
1880 United States Census
Source Information:
  Census Place Ashley, Uintah, Utah
  Family History Library Film   1255338
  NA Film Number   T9-1338
  Page Number   112B   

Wm. GIBSON   Self   M   Male   W   34   SCOT   Farmer   
 Mary GIBSON   Wife   M   Female   W   28   UT   Keeping House   
 James L. GIBSON   Son   S   Male   W   7   UT      SCOT   
 Mary E. GIBSON   Dau   S   Female   W   4   UT      SCOT    
 Geo. LANGSTORS   Other   S   Male   W   19   UT   Laborer 
[Next door]
Jas. B. GIBSON   Self   S   Male   W   31   IRE   Merchant 

1900 United States Census
Vernal, Uintah, Utah

Gibson, William, Head, born Apr 1845, age 55, mar 28 yrs, born Scotland, parents born Ireland, emmigrated 1852, Farmer
Gibson, Mary, Wife, born Sep 1851, age 48, mar 28 yrs, born Utah, father born England, mother born Ohio

1910 United Statess Census
Northeast Vernal, Uintah, Utah

William Gibson, Head, age 64, mar 37 yrs, born Scotland, parents born Ireland, Cattle Rancher
Mary Gibson, Wife, age 58, mar 37 yrs, 3 children, 3 living, born Utah, father born England, mother born Ohio
Sarah Eccles, Daughter, age 29, mar 5 yrs, 1 child, 1 living, born Utah, Teacher in Public Schools
Iona S Eccles, Grandaughter, age 3, born New York, father born New York, mother born Utah
Eva M Galloway, Ward, age 15, born Utah, father born California, mother born Utah,
Harry R Miller, Handiman, single, age 27, born England, parents born England, immigrated 1900, Farm Laborer

1920 United States Census
North Vernal, Uintah, Utah
[daughter, Mary E, and family live next door]

Gibson, William, Head, age 74, mar, immig 1852, born Scotland, parents born Ireland, retired
Gibson, Mary A, Wife, age 68, mar, born Utah, father born England, mother born Ohio
Immigration notes for William GIBSON
Passenger list.
Ship: Galnare

Capt: Copeland
Departure: Liverpool
Arrival: New Orleans, 1853

Rob Gibson, age 34, Farmer, Irish
Eliza Gibson, age 30, from Ireland
Maria Gibson, age 13, from Ireland
Mary Gibson, age 11, from Ireland
William Gibson, age 9, from Ireland
James Gibson, age 6, from Ireland
David Gibson, age 4, from Ireland
Robert Gibson, age 2, from Ireland, Died

Came to Utah with the Warren Walling Company:
Warren Walling Company (1860) 
Departure [from Florence, Nebraska]: 30 May 1860
Arrival in Salt Lake Valley: 9 August 1860
Company Information:
172 individuals and 30 wagons were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Florence, Nebraska (now Omaha).

Among the list of individuals in the company (number in parentheses is age at time of journey):
Gibson, Eliza Campbell Brown (39)
Gibson, Mary (17)
Gibson, William (15)
Gibson, James Brown (12)

Source of Trail Excerpt:
"Arrival of Emigrants," The Mountaineer, 11 Aug. 1860, 202.
ARRIVAL OF EMIGRANTS.—The first company of this season's emigration from Florence to this Territory arrived in this city on Thursday afternoon-seventy days en route. The company had for officers-captain, Warren Walling; councillors, J. S. Rolphe, A. Tinney and N. Green; clerk, Geo. [George William] Crouch; chaplain, G. W. Russell; and A. [Andrew] Petit captain of the guard; ninety-two male persons and sixty-eight females with 30 waggons, 51 yoke of oxen, 34 cows and 9 horses. Before reaching Kearney, a few persons with three waggons, en route for California, joined the company and continued with them to this place. On the arrival on Thursday afternoon, the company was visited by Presidents Young and Wells, and President Daniel Spencer offered the use of his pasture in the Fifth Ward for the cattle. Yesterday morning Messrs. Heywood, Rockwood and Phelps, being on a visit to the camp, were requested to address them, and in compliance gave the emigrants timely counsel and encouragement. The emigrants seemed in good health, and as far as could be judged, in good spirits. Their journey had been prosperous, no accident save to a little girl who had her left limb [leg] fractured, but who had been properly attended to and was in a fair way for perfect recovery. One-third of the company are Danes and Swedes, the other two-thirds from everywhere.

Source of Trail Excerpt:
Taylor, Stanley, Autobiography of Stanley Taylor, 3-4. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
It was a good time I had on the plains, what with crossing rivers and small streams of water and seeing the wild herds of buffalo and antelope, and Indians on the warpath. It was quite a romantic journey. One day Will[iam] Gibson and I went out to hunt. We had not gone far before we saw an antelope. Of course we were greenhorns at hunting; I had the gun, thinking I was the best marksman, so I said, "Will, get down on all fours so I can have your back for a rest." He did so, and as I just got ready to fire, away the animal ran, leaving us in the lurch and we had to come back to camp without any game, and tell the folks how near we came to bringing fresh meat back with us. It was a gay pleasure to sit by the campfire at evening having a good, sociable time singing songs of Zion, giving recitations, telling long yarns, and sometimes joining in the fantastic dance which made the trip both lively and amusing.
After three months of this sort of life I arrived in S.L.C., the city I had heard of so much, read of, and longed so often to see; and I must say, it more than met my fondest expectations. The beautiful valley surrounded by these grand old majestic mountains, capped with snow, and elevated thousands of feet above the level of the sea, was something wonderful to behold.
Obituary notes for William GIBSON
William gibson, Pioneer of 1877 and Prominent Helping Build a Greater Ashley Valley, Buried on Wednesday Afternoon

In the death of William, “Uncle Billie,” Gibson on Saturday December 11 following a partial stroke of paralysis on the Thursday prior, Ashley Valley lost one of her most prominent, oldest pioneer characters, at his homestead home in Ashley ward.

Mr. Gibson was born in Killmarnock Scotland April 25 1845 of Scotch-Irish parentage the son of Robert and Eliza Campbell Brown-Gibson. His parents joining the LDS church and emigrated to America in 1852 on a sailing vessel called ‘Gull In the Air’ and was three months making the journey.

They landed in New Orleans. Mr. Gibson told of many incidents on this journey which were indelibly marked in his keen memory. He noticed when landing the difference of the muddy water of the Mississippi river and the clear water of the Gulf of Mexico. The first person he saw was a negro who seemed very strange as he had never seen one before.

After a stay in New Orleans a river boat was taken for St. Louis where the family lived five years. Here he received his early education and learned to swim in the Mississippi. After floods the lad would swim out and gather floating lumber which he sold to help maintain the family. His father was a shoemaker and his mother and sister did sewing and embroidery work on shirt bosems much in vogue at the time.

At about 12 years of age he secured a position in a glass factory and received an injury from melted glass to his foot which scar he carried through life. He then worked in a bakery which furnished pilot bread for General Johnson’s army which went to Utah. While in St. Louis his father became a citizen of the United States and the laws then made all children citizens also.

His parents separated in St. Louis and he with his mother, brother and sister, moved to Florence, Neb. to cross the plains in a hand cart company. They were advised to wait. They then moved to Council Bluff, Iowa and landed in Salt Lake Valley, August 9, 1860, where he lived for four years.

The sturdy character of the youth had been formed during the hardships of those few years. His spirit was that of the true youthful pioneer of the times. His life thus far had been one of action and of boyhood sacrifices and hardships. The next few years were even more so. In helping in the pioneering of Utah he crossed and recrossed the plains 7 times driving ox teams. During this time he became thoroughly conversant with the Indian problems then confronting the West and espeically Utah. His keen insight into affairs made him outstanding among his associates. He was trusted in any emergency which arose. He was always busy until it has been said of him his activities seemed to be more than that of one person. Every action counted. There seemed to be no wasted energy anywhere along the line.

In 1864 he went to Kamas to live. Here he met Miss Mary A. Lambert and they were married in the endowment house 60 years ago last April. The three children born to them survive: James L., Dean of the University of Utah, Mrs. N.G. Soward whose home immediately joins that of the Gibson homestead, and Mrs. Sarah Eccles of New York City. Also 14 grandchildren survive. All the children were here when death came to help sustain their mother in the trying hour.

Three years after going to Kamas, the Black Hawk Indian War started. Mr. Gibson enlisted in the Utah militia and served under Captain James McCormick and Lieut. Levi Pangburn. They kept guard night and day but soon abandoned Kamas and built a fort at Peoa.

Mr. Gibson said he spent the best part of his life from 31 years of age to 36 between the years 1865 and 1871 in building forts, standing guard, and traveling between one and two thousand miles following horses tracks as the only guide into an unknown country on the Book Cliff mountains, and on other Indian trails where he believed that White man’s foot had never before trod.

Because Kamas was too cold, they decided to come to the Ashley valley, a place he had not seen in his dealings with the Indians. With 35 head of cattle and enough provisions to do one year, they landed in Ashley Valley on November 1, 1877 just as the sun was going down. The first winter was very mild and in a cabin withough doors or windows they were comfortable by hanging homemade carpets in the openings and placing straw under the carpets spread over the dirt floor and tacked down with wooden pegs. This was on the same land they now occupy with one of the most pretentious dwellings in Ashley Valley.

While on a trip to Salt Lake for provisions, the Meeker Indian Massacre started and when he returned all settlers were quartered in a fort in Old Ashley town. Mr. Gibson then moved his house of whip sawed logs to Ashley where they lived comfortably for a year. He sold this house for a county court house and it was later moved to Vernal still used for a court house. Later the building was remodeled and used as a dwelling on the lot just across from the Sterling Transportation office the old Uintah State Station.

Mr. Gibson was the first constable in the valley. He served 2 terms as state representative. The following incident enlivening his sojourn there, depicting the determined will of Mr. Gibson and to which he sometime jokingly referred happened on his return from his first session of the state legislature.

On his way home, after the close of the legislature he arrived in Price on a Saturday afternoon and as no stages ran on Sunday, it would necessitate a stay until Monday with added expense. Securing a lunch of crackers and cheese and placing his belonging in a red bandana handkerchief he started out on foot thinking that perhaps he would be overtaken by some one coming thru.

At any rate he traveled continuously except for short intervals of rest and was not overtaken by anyone until his arrival at the hill top overlooking Ashley Valley, just as the stage arrived. He was invited by the driver to a seat in the stage for the remainder of the journey. Weary and footsore as was this pioneer legislator he refused the offer and trugged his weary way across the flats to his home. The stage fare was $17.50 which he always maintaned was a hold-up fare as he had demontrated one could make big wages by walking the entire distance.

While acting as state representtive Mr. Gibson conceived the idea to paint the Remember the Main on the face of a very high cliff in Ashley canyon, which would be a lasting reminder of patriotism to the citizens of this section. Leo A. Voight painted the phrase which is still visible on the face of the 500 foot cliff.

The stirring incidents in the life of Mr. Gibson would make a large book if published. He was a lover of nature and all things beautiful giving liberally of his time and means to all worthy causes.

A large crown gathered on one of the coldest days ever recorded since the earliest pioneering days in Ashley Valley, to pay to this honored man their last respects in the Vernal First ward chapel at noon Wednesday. The bishopric of the Ashley ward was in charge, Counselor Edward Kidd conducting. A double mixed quartet sang “Lead Kindly Light,” “My Beautiful Home,” and “I Know That My Redeemer Lives.” Mrs. Mae Jorgensen, accompanied by Mrs. Glen Lambert, sang “One Fleeting Hour,” as a soprano solo.

Carl Preece of the High Council was first speaker. In a tribute told of his acquaintance with the departed and showed that his desire for truthfulness in all things his hatred for sham, determined his success in life. Sixteen years ago Mr. Gibson made a request that Mr. Preece speak at his funeral.

President K. B. Calder told of how Mr. Gibson, through his determined will power, had solved the problems of the pioneer and how his efforts had been crowned with success. From the very start his home had been one of refinement and culture. Mr. Calder also told of how all his succeses and failures had been equally shared by his faithful wife in the rearing of their family. He spoke of Mr. Gibson’s efforts with the Indians and how he had risked his life to save that of William Anderson. He also mentioned his sentiment in patriotism.

Joseph Lambert of Roosevelt, half brother of Mrs. Gibson, was the last speaker who told of Mr. Gibson’s trips across the plains to help the immigrants in their difficulties in settling the West.

The floral offerings were profuse come from all sections.

Charles B. Carter offered the opening prayer and Hugh W. Colton the benediction.

Interment was made in the private burial plot north of the homestead.* Here fours years ago Mr. Gibson had constructed cement vaults for himself and wife. Every detail for the burial preparation had he worked out in advance. He stated last fall that if he had the strength and knew ahead when the end would be he would go to the vault and lay down for the final sleep. Mr. Colton also dedicated the grave.

Newspaper: Vernal Express, Vernal, Utah, 1932-12-13, page one.
*Those buried in the Gibson family cemetery were later moved to the Vernal city cemetery.
Notes for Mary Adelia (Spouse 1)
LDS Church Membership Record:
Name: Mary Adelia Lambert
Gender: Female
Birth: 1851-09-11, Salt Lake city, Salt Lake, Utah
Death: 1935-01-19
Father: John Lambert
Mother: Adelia Groesbeck
Spouse: William Gibson
LDS Bap: Apr 1861

From: Builders of Uintah, DUP, 1947.
p. 19
“Mary A. Gibson was born in Salt Lake City Sept 11, 1851, the daughter of John and Adelia Grosbeck Lambert. She moved with her parents to Kamas Valley in 1861. She married William Gibson in 1872 in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City. Moved to Ashley Valley in 1877, was a Sunday School teacher in Old Ashley in 1880, and elected trustee for District No. 3 in 1904. She served four years. In 1915 she was chosen president of the newly organized Ashley Ward Relief Society, in which capacity she served for several years. She died Jan 19, 1935 and is buried in the Gibson private cemetery.”
Census notes for Mary Adelia (Spouse 1)
1880 United States Census
Source Information:
  Census Place Ashley, Uintah, Utah
  Family History Library Film   1255338
  NA Film Number   T9-1338
  Page Number   112B   

Wm. GIBSON   Self   M   Male   W   34   SCOT   Farmer   
 Mary GIBSON   Wife   M   Female   W   28   UT   Keeping House   
 James L. GIBSON   Son   S   Male   W   7   UT      SCOT   
 Mary E. GIBSON   Dau   S   Female   W   4   UT      SCOT    
 Geo. LANGSTORS   Other   S   Male   W   19   UT   Laborer   
Obituary notes for Mary Adelia (Spouse 1)
Pioneer of Ashley Valley in 1877 and Active Church worker Passes to Great Beyond After Successful Career
Funeral services for Mary a. Gibson, 83, who succumbed Saturday afternoon at 4 o’clock at her home in Ashley, will be held in the new Ashley ward chapel today (Thursday) at 1:00 o’clock p.m. under the direction of the bishopric.

Mrs. Gibson had been in good health up to the time of her death although had suffered a slight heart attack some time ago and her daughter, Mrs. Sarah A. Eccles of New York, was summoned home and was with her mother when the end came. Another daughter, Mrs. Mary E. Sowards, and several other relatives were with Mrs. Gibson.

Born in Salt Lake September 11, 1851, just four years after the arrival of the first pioneers, she spent the first ten years of her life in that place. In 1861 she moved with her parents John Lambert and Adelia Grosbeck to Rhoades Valley, now Kamas. On May 6, 1872, she was married to William Gibson in the Salt Lake endowment House.

Mrs. Gibson was preceded in death by her husband two years ago. Surviving are two daughters and one son; Mrs. Eccles and Mrs. Sowards and James L. Gibson, Salt Lake, Dean of the School of Arts and Science, University of Utah, who is at the present time in the Southern States doing work for the University.

Mrs. Gibson will be buried in the Gibson cemetery north of their home in a vault beside her husband built by Mr. Gibson before his death.*

Newspaper: Vernal Express, Vernal, Utah, 1935-01-24, page one

Mrs. Mary A. Gibson, Early Pioneer of Ashley Valley Buried in Family Cemetery Near Home Thursday of Last Week.*
Under the direction of the Ashley ward bishopric with Bishop Alma Preece presiding the funeral services of Mrs. Mary Adelia Lambert Gibson were held Thursday of last week at 1 p.m., in the new Ashley ward chapel which was filled to capacity. Relatives, neighbors and many friends from distant points came to pay their last respects to one of Utah’s noble pioneer characters and one of Ashley Valley’s beloved pioneers.

It seemed most fitting that the beautiful new Ashley ward chapel should help to pay this respect to the one who was known as the “Mother of Ashley Ward.” Mrs. Gibson was the honor guest at the opening of the new chapel last fall.

The floral offering profuse and beautiful, testified of the love and respect paid to the departed from many who were unable to be there in person.

Music was furnished by a ladies’ chorus composed of Mrs. Ivan Atwood, Mrs Eva Hatch, Mrs. May Calder, Mrs. Olive Bryant and Mrs. Frank Enger, accompanied by Mrs. Horace Caldwell who sang “I Know That My Redeemer Lives,” “That Beautiful Land,” and “Beautiful Isle of Somewhere.”

Mrs. Calder and Mrs. John Jorgensen accompanied by Mrs. John Stagg sang, “Behold ‘Tis Eventide.” A violin duet, “One Fleeting Hour” was played by Sewell and Everett Massey.

Thomas E. Kidd told of his long acquaintance with the deceased and how she had been an inspiration to him in his activities since boyhod. A beautiful tribute was read by Mrs. May Freestone.

High Councilman Karl B. Preece, former bishop of Ashley ward, neighbor and friend since babyhood, paid glowing tribute. He told how Mr. and Mrs. Gibson had made him promise 19 years ago that he would speak at their funeral services. How just recently his lifelong friend had reminded him of his promise and when he jokingly had asked her what he should say she seriously replied, “Speak the truth.” He told of how her Christian influence had been a benediction in his life.

The concluding speaker, H. Walter Wooley, referred to the happiness of living the Gospel as had Mrs. Gibson and what would be the reward of study and work. Bishop Preece in his closing remarks also paid a wonderful tribute. Among the pioneers present who had come to pay their respects was Henry J. Catwin of Jensen who had lived in the Gibson home when a boy.

The opening prayer was by Alvin A. Weeks and the benediction by Neils Behrmann.

The pall bearers were grandsons of the deceased, Carl, Leland, Orville and Shirley Sowards, Mark D. Gibson and James Lambert Gibson, Jr.

Interment was made in the Gibson cemetery on the hill north of the Gibson home in a vault beside her husband built by Mr. Gibson before his death which occurred two years ago. Thomas Bingham, Ashley Valley pioneer, dedicated the grave.

Relatives from outside points attending the funeral were her son James L. Gibson, dean of the school of Arts and Science, U of U, Mrs. Gibson and sons James L. Jr. and Keith, Salt Lake; a daughter Sarah Gibson Eccles of New York; the following brothers and sisters Joseph Ephraim Lambert, Roosevelt, Mrs. Emma L. Pack, Salt Lake, and grandson, Marl D. Gibson, Price; nephews, Garret Pack, Roy, Frank, Robert and Parley Lambert, Wilford Lewis; nieces, Mrs Mary Wilde, Mrs. H. Zeff, Mrs. Addie Russet; two sisters-in-law, Mrs. Reva Lambert and Mrs. Ephraim Lambert.

Death occurred January 19th at 4 p.m. while seated conversing with those around her. Mrs. Gibson was one of the earliest pioneer mothers of Ashley Valley coming here in 1877. She was an ardent Church worker and only those closely associated with her ever knew any part of her many charities for she never spoke of them herself.

Mrs. Gibson had the wonderful faculty of making those associated with her sensing her viewpoint. She was generally right, but if wrong none could be quicker than she to rectify the mistake.

When she spoke in matters of religion it was with a most pleasing way, offending none for to those associated with her it was known she had searched and and tested every source for knowledge before she spoke. There always seemed to be a finality to her remarks of any nature which cleared up doubt.

She was a close observer of nature seeing beauty in everything even the Indians which so greatly frightened her when they first settled in the Valley as they roved at will past their homestead from the Indian ford at Green river over the Indian trail up the canyon towards Lapoint.

Newspaper: Vernal Express, Vernal, Utah, 1935-01-31, page one
*Those buried in the Gibson family cemetery were later moved to the Vernal city cemetery.
Last Modified 12 Jun 2013Created 9 Jan 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh