NameRichard LAMBERT ®1, M
Birth Date10 Jul 1771
Birth PlaceMarton In Craven, Yorkshire, England
Chr Date21 Mar 1773 ®49
Chr PlaceSaint Peter, Marton In Craven, Yorkshire, England
Chr MemoFHL 919152, Batch C105962
Death Date22 Dec 1833
Death PlaceBriercliffe, Lancashire, England
Burial Date25 Dec 1833 ®13
Burial PlaceHaggate, Lancashire, England
Burial MemoHaggate Baptist Chapel
ResidenceAt Time Of Death, Marsden Heights, Briercliffe, Burnley, Lancashire, England
ReligionMember Of The Haggate Baptist Church, Briercliffe, Burnley. Lancashire
Cause of death“Dropsy,” Probably Congestive Heart Failure
FatherJohn LAMBERT , M (1747-1789)
MotherElizabeth HEWIT , F (1743-1826)
Birth Date25 Oct 1787 ®48
Birth PlaceCrathorne, Yorkshire, England
Chr Date28 Oct 1787 ®48
Chr PlaceAll Saints, Crathorne, Yorkshire, England
Chr MemoFHL 919055
Death Date18 Apr 1865
Death PlaceWellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
Burial DateApr 1865
Burial PlaceWellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
FlagsNauvoo Area Resident, Utah Pioneer
MotherHannah SIGGESWICK , F (1750-)
Marr Date6 Oct 1811 ®50
Marr PlaceBroughton, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
Marr MemoManchester Cathedral
ChildrenElizabeth , F (1813-1885)
 Hannah , F (1817-1829)
 John , M (1820-1893)
 Richard , M (1822-1907)
 Joseph , M (1826-1855)
Notes for Richard LAMBERT
Extracted Baptism data found at FamilySearch:

name: Richard Lambert   
gender: Male
baptism/christening date: 21 Mar 1773
baptism/christening place: MARTON IN CRAVEN,YORK,ENGLAND
father's name: John Lambert
indexing project (batch) number: C10596-2
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 919152

The Marton in Craven Parish Records show that Richard Lambert was christened on the same day as his younger sister, Mary. ®49

Haggate, Lancashire, Baptist Church, records shows the following births:

Elizabeth LAMBERT, born 8 September 1813, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave in Craven
Hannah LAMBERT, born 25 June 1817, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave in Craven
John LAMBERT, born 31 January 1820, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave
Richard LAMBERT, born 17 November 1822, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave in Yorkshire
Joseph LAMBERT, born 22 apr 1826, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Marsden Height Little Marsden

Email, 10 Dec 2008,

Hi Venita,
 The Lamberts you queried were not listed as buried at St Peters,but I did find a burial for a Richard Lambert at Haggate Baptist Chapel 25 Dec 1833,I did not find a burial for Hannah in 1839

There is a listing for a birth at Haggate for Hannah dau of Richard and Patience Lambert of Gargrave in Craven,that would be in Yorkshire,just across the border.Richard and Patience had.

Elizabeth b 8th of September 1813
Hannah born 25th June 1817
John b 31st January 1814
Richard b 17th November 1822,these births were registered at Haggate

There is also a death for a Hannah Lambert in 3rd July 1829, burial at Haggate
Hope this helps

11 Dec 2008

Hi Venita,
I have found an additional child
Joseph 22nd April 1826,their address was Marsden Height lt Marsden.
I did not find anything for Patience after 1826.
There is only one other Lambert family apparently using Haggate at that time,they were Joseph and Hannah,if you think there is a connection between them I will be happy to check the fiche.

You may want to check out this site of info and pictures of the area
including Haggate.


A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6
Author: William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)
Year published: 1911
Pages: 468-473

Brereclife, 1242; Brereclive, 1258; Brerecliff, 1311; Bretliff, xvii cent. Extwesl', 1260; Extwesil, 1322; Extwistle, modern.
Physically this township may be described as consisting of two ridges or westward spurs of the chain of hills dividing Lancashire from Yorkshire. Down the central valley between them flows the Don, which at the extreme south-western corner joins with the Swinden and Brun. The two parts are named Briercliffe and Extwistle, to north and south, and have areas of 2,324½ and 1,903 acres respectively, or 4,227½ acres. in all. The northern boundary is formed in part by Catlow Brook, in which two reservoirs have been formed. The highest points, ranging up to 1,400 ft. and 1,500 ft. above sea level, are near the eastern end; at the Brun, in the west, the height is only 450 ft. above the sea. The population in 1901 numbered 2,324.

A good deal of the land is moorland; the soil is clay, overlying clay and slate, and the agricultural land is mostly used for pasturage. There are cotton mills in Briercliffe, and stone quarries are worked.
The principal road is that from Burnley eastward through Briercliffe, passing through the hamlets of Harlesyke, Haggate and Lane Bottom. Towards the eastern end of the township it turns north towards Colne, but sends off a branch south-east by Higher Ridihalgh across Thursden and the Don Valley where is a ford, past the remains of Widdop Cross (1,286 ft.) on the boundary, into Yorkshire. At Haggate the road is crossed by another from Nelson, continuing south-east as Cockden Lane into Worsthorne. In the northern part of Briercliffe are the houses called Windle House, Folds House, Burwains, Hollin Greave and Pighole; in its southwest corner are Mustyhalgh, Walshaw and Widow Green. Extwistle lies near the southern boundary on the slope above Swinden Water. Monk Hall is on higher ground some distance north-east. There was a skirmish at Haggate in 1644 between Prince Rupert's forces and the Parliamentarians.

The township, now called Briercliffe simply, is governed by a parish council. A small part of the west end was added to Burnley in 1894.

In the Extwistle part, on the high moorland, are some tumuli and the sites of supposed British and Roman camps; there is another camp above Thursden. Nogworth Cross stood halfway between Extwistle Hall and Monk Hall; there is a tradition that a mischievous 'boggart' which frequented Holden to the south was 'laid' under this cross. Another cross stood at Thursden.

From: Townships: Marsden', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 536-541.

Merkesden, 1195; Merclesden, Merkelstene, 1242; Merclisden, 1258.
The township of Marsden is or was divided into two parts, Great Marsden, at one time called Aske Marsden, with an area of 3,108 acres, and Little Marsden to the south-west, with an area of 1,581 acres—4,689 acres in all. The boundaries are to a great extent marked by streams. Colne Water is the northern boundary, and flows into Pendle Water, which forms the western one; Great and Little Marsden are separated by Walverden Water, flowing north-west to join Pendle Water near Reedyford, while Catlow Brook, an affluent of the Walverden, forms the southern boundary of Great Marsden. On the north-east the brook flowing down Foxclough divides Marsden from Trawden and part of Colne. In Great Marsden, Shelfield in the south-east attains 1,110 ft. above sea level, and the surface descends from it to the bounding streams in all directions except the south-east, on which side after some fall higher levels are attained on the moorlands, 1,117 ft. near the Deerstones, and 1,200 ft. on Willy Moor. In Little Marsden, in the south-east, an elevation of 900 ft. above the sea is reached near Marsden Height, from which point the surface descends in all directions. The lowest ground is of course along the streams forming the north and west boundaries, the fall of the water being from 450 ft. at Colne to 375 ft. at Reedyford and 320 ft. at the border of Reedley.

In Great Marsden near the centre is Marsden Hall with the ancient earthwork known as Castercliff to the north-east; further away are Birchenley and Lenches, this last being by Waterside Bridge, where there is a crossing into Colne. East and south-east of the hall are Slitterforth and Shelfield; to the south are Townhouse, Southfield and Catlow; to the west Hendon and Bradley; to the northwest Lee and Swinden; and to the north White Walls, Grindlestone Hurst and Whackersall, this last being near Primet Bridge, another passage into Colne. In Little Marsden the village of Marsden is or was a little north of the centre: it has been absorbed in the town of Nelson, growing up to the north-west; Linedred is to the west. Another town is Brierfield in the south-west; this has Limefield and Chamber Hill to the north and west; Lane End and Catlow Row to the east, with Scholefield, Marsden Height and Finsley further away. Walverden Reservoir has been formed at the junction of Catlow and Walverden Brooks.

Owing to the progress of the cotton manufacture, Colne has extended itself into the northern part of Marsden, while the new town of Nelson has grown up in the west; and in 1894 the old township was dissolved, about 430 acres being added to Colne, and the remainder divided between the new townships of Nelson (3,464 acres) and Brierfield (807 acres). The population of the former Marsden was 44,045 in 1901, including 3,945 in Colne, 32,717 in Nelson, and 7,383 in Brierfield.
The principal road is that from Burnley through Brierfield and Nelson to Colne; from Brierfield a road goes west by Quakers' Bridge into Pendle, and from Nelson one goes north by New Bridge to Barrowford. Other roads go east from the same places... The Leeds and Liverpool Canal also winds north through Brierfield and Nelson, passing into Barrowford over an aqueduct near Swinden...

In addition to the staple manufactures of cotton and worsted goods there are minor industries, such as brewing, quarrying, corn milling, the making of soap, confectionery, bricks and sanitary pipes and iron foundries... The agricultural land is almost entirely used for pasture...

The towns of Brierfield and Nelson have grown up near the canal and along the road from Burnley to Colne. Nelson is also on the older road between the same places, and at the place where the northward road branched off; it has spread south to include Lomeshaye and east over Bradley...

There was a cross in Little Marsden; 'Walton Spire' is a monolith on Shelfield.

From The Briercliff Society website:

Haggate came into existence in the 17th century and, by the 1640's, there were several families living there; the Hitchin's, the Ridehalgh's, the Smith's and the Higgins'.

It appears the growth of the village was the result of two developments. The first was the increase in travel and the second was the growth in the textile industry. The latter coincides with the involvement of the Smiths of Hill End, properly Haggate Hill End, and the Ecroyds of Foulds House, in the woollen industry.

The derivation of the name has produced a number of suggestions. Walter Bennett favours the explanation that the name comes from 'hatch gate', a gate at the junction of two manors. This could be the case as Haggate is not far from the boundary between the Manors of Ightenhill and Colne, and the road through Cockden leads to the Manor of Extwistle. It has also been suggested that the name comes from 'Algotholmegate', meaning a gate or road to the home of Algantre.
Hagg is Norse for a place cleared of trees, which, if the name comes from this source, could indicate very early settlement. However, Roger Frost thinks that the clue to the meaning of the name of the village can be foubd in the earliest known spelling of the place name. Hack, as in the 1640 version of Hackgate, is a reference to a thorn tree, usually the hawthorn. It is till referred to as the 'hack tree in several places. Roger says he can't be sure of the derivation of the first syllable of the word but the second seems to be somewhat easier. 'Gate' should be seen in the same sense as Sandygate and Finsleygate in Burnley; that is, as a 'walk or road'. As Haggate stands at a crossroads which was of considerable importance in the past it seems a possible explanation.
Notes for Patience (Spouse 1)
LDS Church Membership Record:
Name: Patience Vay
Gender: Female
Birth: 1786-10-25, Crathorne, Yorkshire
Death: 1865-04-18
LDS Bap: Oct 1837

Crathorne Parish Records:
1787 Bap: “Oct ye 28th Patience daughter of Joseph Vay was baptised.”

On living endowment record from Nauvoo Temple, 2 Feb 1846:
Patience Lambert
Birthdate, 25 Oct 1786;
Christening: 28 Oct 1787, Crathorn, Yorkshire, England.
Original LDS baptism in Lancashire, England, before June 1840.

Patience and her son, John, were in the first company to receive their endowments on 2 Feb 1846. John is listed as a Seventy.

Lambert, Patience (Female)
Birth: Lambert, Patience (Female)
Date: October 25, 1786
Temple Ordinance Data: Lambert, Patience (Female)
Endowment Date: February 2, 1846
Temple: Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USA

Source: Early LDS Membership records


From: A History of the County of York North Riding: Vol 2,1923, pp 234-37.

“Crathorne is a small agricultural parish cut into two nearly equal parts by the River Leven. The total acreage is 2,600 acres, of which about half is under cultivation. The soil is clay on a subsoil of Keuper marls, and wheat, oats, beans and turnips are grown. There are about 226 acres of woodland in the parish, all on the banks of the Leven, which are steep and picturesque. The river is noted for its trout and the whole parish for its shooting.

“In the centre of the parish and on the banks of the Leven is the village of Crathorne. It is also the central point of the manor, which except for a small estate near the eastern boundary is coterminous with the parish... A house has probably been in existence on this site since the beginning of the 14th century, when the Crathorne family first came into possession. In 1808, however, the Hall was described by a local writer as plain and modern. It was converted into cottages by the last member of the Crathorne family.

“The rest of the parish consists of the land attached to several farms. Of these the most important is Mill Farm, opposite the village on the other side of the Leven. The river is here crossed by a stone bridge with one arch which must have been built first to connect the manor-house with the other most important manorial buildings...The first mention of a mill in Crathorne is in 1328–9... In 1717 Ralph Crathorne had a water corn-mill [flour mill] and a fulling-mill... The bleaching industry flourished in Crathorne in the 18th and early 19th centuries. In 1808 there was an extensive bleach ground and two bleaching-mills, with the old flour-mill near by. The water for the bleaching-mill was brought from a fine chalybeate spring on the west bank of the Leven. In 1844 only the cornmill was working.

“The church of ALL SAINTS stands at the east end of the village and consists of chancel 23 ft. 6 in. by 16 ft. with north organ chamber and vestry, nave 42 ft. 10 in. by 18 ft. 6 in., south porch, and west tower 11 ft. square, all these measurements being internal. The only ancient parts of the fabric are the north and south walls of the nave, which may be of 14th-century date, but the building contains several fragments of preConquest date, and built in over the south doorway is a hog-back gravestone, which may, however, be of the late 12th century. Other fragments of a 12thcentury church have been found and are now in the vestry. The chancel and porch were rebuilt and the tower added in 1888.

ECCLES, Lancashire

A parish in the hundred of SALFORD, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4 miles (W.) from Manchester, comprising the chapelries of Pendleton and Worsley, and the townships of Barton, Clifton, and Pendlebury, and containing 23,331 inhabitants.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the King’s books at £6.8., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary de Eccles, is in the later style of English architecture, and belonging to Whalley abbey, but at the dissolution it was made parochial.
Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics, have each a place of worship, with a school attached.
There are manufactories for silk, nankeen, gingham, and linen cloth; also a large cotton-mill, which affords employment to about four hundred people. A school-room in the church-yard was rebuilt by subscription in 1816, and is partly supported by a bequest from James Bradshaw, in 1800, of £8.8. per annum, and partly from the parish fund of benefactions; five hundred and thirty children are taught at this school. The Manchester and Liverpool rail-road passes close to the village. The abbot and convent of Whalley established a small settlement of monks at this place; a small portion of the building remains, and forms part of a farm-house, bearing the name of Monks’ Hall. Robert Ainsworth, author of the Latin and English Dictionary, was born here in 1660.(1)
(1) From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, By Samuel Lewis, London, 1831. Vol. 2, page 109.
Census notes for Patience (Spouse 1)
1850 US Census, Utah Territory
Great Salt Lake City

Joseph Lambert, age 25, Farmer, born England
Patience Lambert, age 65, born England

1860 US Census, Utah Territory
Cache Valley
Post Office, Brigham

Robt Redford, age 50, Laborer, born England
Patience Redford, age 76, born England
Immigration notes for Patience (Spouse 1)
Immigration Record from “Mormon Immigration Index” cd, Copyright 2000:

PRESTON, Patience <1783> Rochester 1841
Gender: F Age: 58 Origin: England Occ: Mason

(Note: This is the only entry in the “Mormon Immigration Index” that matches what is already known of Patience Vay Lambert. The mistake in the surname may be attributed to a recording error by the ship’s pursor.)

Ship: Rochester
Date of Departure: 21 Apr 1841
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
LDS Immigrants: 130
Church Leader: Brigham Young
Date of Arrival: 20 May 1841
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Source(s): Customs #178 (FHL #002,289)

"EIGHTH COMPANY. -- Rochester, 130 souls. Tuesday April 20th, 1841, Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith and Willard Richards and family went on board the ship Rochester, Captain Woodhouse, at Liverpool, bound for New York, with a company of one hundred and thirty saints. Captain Woodhouse delayed his sailing two days, to accommodate the Elders. The Rochester sailed on the twenty-first and arrived at the quarantine ground at New York May 19th, after a toilsome passage. At one time she was beset with head winds and a tedious storm, when the Apostles united in prayer, in answer to which the storm abated, the sea became calm, and the voyage was continued with rejoicing. On the twenty-eighth of April the ship encountered a tempest, shipped a heavy sea in which Apostle Woodruff got thoroughly drenched, while Willard Richards escaped under the bulwarks.

The Rochester arrived at the dock in New York about four o'clock p.m., on Thursday, May 20th, but the passengers were prevented from landing by the carters and rowdies until late in the evening. Such was the confusion in New York at that time at the arrival of a ship, steamboat or coach, that strangers were led to suppose that the city was without mayor, marshal, police or any other officer to keep the peace.

The company remained in New York until the fourth of June, when the journey was continued, under the direction of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and John Taylor, via Philadelphia to Pittsburg by railway and canal transportation. They traveled on what was then called the swift line, for which they paid fourteen dollars for each adult; the slow line carried passengers for nine dollars. After staying four days at Pittsburg, they set sail [on the Ohio river] on the steamboat Cicero, June 12th, and after having proceeded about fifteen miles the boat ran on a sand bank, where it was detained three days; in fact the boat ran aground several times, the water being very low, and the passengers were three weeks on board before they arrived in Nauvoo. The weather was also extremely warm. Apostle Kimball, in a communication to the Millennial Star, advised future emigrants to come by way of New Orleans, on which route the accommodations would be better and the fare less, and he also recommended that British Saints should sail in the cool part of the season.

The company finally arrived in Nauvoo July 1st, 1841, and was met on the river bank by about three hundred Saints who had come down to meet the new comers. A greater manifestation of love and gladness had perhaps never been witnessed among brethren in this dispensation than that which was exhibited on this occasion when the Prophet Joseph met his brethren of the Twelve, whom he loved so dearly. Joseph was the first person on board the steamer which brought the company in and gave the immigrating Saints a warm and hearty greeting."

"Wed. 21. [April 1841] -- Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith and Willard Richards sailed from Liverpool, England, on the ship Rochester, accompanied by 130 Saints. They arrived at New York May 20th."

From: Heart Throbs of the West, Vol. 11, p. 396

The L.D.S. Church emigration of 1850 came to Utah in ten companies under the direction of the following captains: Milo Andrus (A); Benjamin Hawkins (Ha); Aaron John (J); James Pace (P); Edward Hunter (H); Joseph Young (Y); Warren Foote (F); Wilfor Woodruff (W); Stephen Markham (M); and David Evans (E). Many independant companies continued to emigrate to the west (I).

Ibid, p.427:

They Came in ‘50

Lambert, Elizabeth, 38, Sept 8, 1812, England (Y)
Lambert, Richard, 28, Nov 22, 1822, England (Y)

Lambert, Patience Vay, 64, Oct. 13, 1786, England (Y)
Lambert, John, 30, Jan 31, 1820, England, (Y)
Lambert, Adelia G. 28, April 14, 1822, Ohio (Ha)
Lambert, Martha A., 3, Feb 24, 1847, Missouri, (Ha)
Lambert, John Carlos, 1, Sept. 20, 1849, Missouri (Ha)
Lambert, Joseph, 24, April 23, 1826

Elizabeth and Richard stayed in Nauvoo, Illinois, with their families where they joined the RLDS church. The rest of the family apparently came with Benjamin Hawkins.
Notes for Richard & Patience (Family)
It appears that the Vay family was living in Broughton, Manchester, Lancashire, at this time.
Last Modified 6 Sep 2014Created 9 Jan 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh