NamePatience VAY ®1, F
Birth Date25 Oct 1787 ®48
Birth PlaceCrathorne, Yorkshire, England
Chr Date28 Oct 1787 ®48
Chr PlaceAll Saints, Crathorne, Yorkshire, England
Chr MemoFHL 919055
Death Date18 Apr 1865
Death PlaceWellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
Burial DateApr 1865
Burial PlaceWellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
FlagsNauvoo Area Resident, Utah Pioneer
MotherHannah SIGGESWICK , F (1750-)
Spouses
Birth Date10 Jul 1771
Birth PlaceMarton In Craven, Yorkshire, England
Chr Date21 Mar 1773 ®49
Chr PlaceSaint Peter, Marton In Craven, Yorkshire, England
Chr MemoFHL 919152, Batch C105962
Death Date22 Dec 1833
Death PlaceBriercliffe, Lancashire, England
Burial Date25 Dec 1833 ®13
Burial PlaceHaggate, Lancashire, England
Burial MemoHaggate Baptist Chapel
ResidenceAt Time Of Death, Marsden Heights, Briercliffe, Burnley, Lancashire, England
Cause of death“Dropsy,” Probably Congestive Heart Failure
FatherJohn LAMBERT , M (1747-1789)
MotherElizabeth HEWIT , F (1743-1826)
Marr Date6 Oct 1811 ®50
Marr PlaceBroughton, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
Marr MemoManchester Cathedral
ChildrenElizabeth , F (1813-1885)
 Hannah , F (1817-1829)
 John , M (1820-1893)
 Richard , M (1822-1907)
 Joseph , M (1826-1855)
Birth Date20 Jan 1814
Birth PlacePilkington, Lancashire, England
Birth MemoPRF
Chr Date10 Apr 1814
Chr PlacePrestwich, Lancashire, England
Chr MemoSt. Mary’s
Death Date23 Jul 1865
Death PlaceWellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
Burial DateJul 1865
Burial PlaceWellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
FlagsUtah Pioneer
Marr Date29 Nov 1856
Marr PlaceSalt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States
No Children
Notes for Patience VAY
LDS Church Membership Record:
Name: Patience Vay
Gender: Female
Birth: 1786-10-25, Crathorne, Yorkshire
Death: 1865-04-18
LDS Bap: Oct 1837
--------------


Crathorne Parish Records:
1787 Bap: “Oct ye 28th Patience daughter of Joseph Vay was baptised.”
----------------------

On living endowment record from Nauvoo Temple, 2 Feb 1846:
Patience Lambert
Birthdate, 25 Oct 1786;
Christening: 28 Oct 1787, Crathorn, Yorkshire, England.
Original LDS baptism in Lancashire, England, before June 1840.

Patience and her son, John, were in the first company to receive their endowments on 2 Feb 1846. John is listed as a Seventy.
-------------------------

Lambert, Patience (Female)
Birth: Lambert, Patience (Female)
Date: October 25, 1786
Temple Ordinance Data: Lambert, Patience (Female)
Endowment Date: February 2, 1846
Temple: Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USA

Source: Early LDS Membership records
---------------------------


--------------------------

From: A History of the County of York North Riding: Vol 2,1923, pp 234-37.

“Crathorne is a small agricultural parish cut into two nearly equal parts by the River Leven. The total acreage is 2,600 acres, of which about half is under cultivation. The soil is clay on a subsoil of Keuper marls, and wheat, oats, beans and turnips are grown. There are about 226 acres of woodland in the parish, all on the banks of the Leven, which are steep and picturesque. The river is noted for its trout and the whole parish for its shooting.

“In the centre of the parish and on the banks of the Leven is the village of Crathorne. It is also the central point of the manor, which except for a small estate near the eastern boundary is coterminous with the parish... A house has probably been in existence on this site since the beginning of the 14th century, when the Crathorne family first came into possession. In 1808, however, the Hall was described by a local writer as plain and modern. It was converted into cottages by the last member of the Crathorne family.

“The rest of the parish consists of the land attached to several farms. Of these the most important is Mill Farm, opposite the village on the other side of the Leven. The river is here crossed by a stone bridge with one arch which must have been built first to connect the manor-house with the other most important manorial buildings...The first mention of a mill in Crathorne is in 1328–9... In 1717 Ralph Crathorne had a water corn-mill [flour mill] and a fulling-mill... The bleaching industry flourished in Crathorne in the 18th and early 19th centuries. In 1808 there was an extensive bleach ground and two bleaching-mills, with the old flour-mill near by. The water for the bleaching-mill was brought from a fine chalybeate spring on the west bank of the Leven. In 1844 only the cornmill was working.

“The church of ALL SAINTS stands at the east end of the village and consists of chancel 23 ft. 6 in. by 16 ft. with north organ chamber and vestry, nave 42 ft. 10 in. by 18 ft. 6 in., south porch, and west tower 11 ft. square, all these measurements being internal. The only ancient parts of the fabric are the north and south walls of the nave, which may be of 14th-century date, but the building contains several fragments of preConquest date, and built in over the south doorway is a hog-back gravestone, which may, however, be of the late 12th century. Other fragments of a 12thcentury church have been found and are now in the vestry. The chancel and porch were rebuilt and the tower added in 1888.
-------------------------

ECCLES, Lancashire

A parish in the hundred of SALFORD, county palatine of LANCASTER, 4 miles (W.) from Manchester, comprising the chapelries of Pendleton and Worsley, and the townships of Barton, Clifton, and Pendlebury, and containing 23,331 inhabitants.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the King’s books at £6.8., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary de Eccles, is in the later style of English architecture, and belonging to Whalley abbey, but at the dissolution it was made parochial.
Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics, have each a place of worship, with a school attached.
There are manufactories for silk, nankeen, gingham, and linen cloth; also a large cotton-mill, which affords employment to about four hundred people. A school-room in the church-yard was rebuilt by subscription in 1816, and is partly supported by a bequest from James Bradshaw, in 1800, of £8.8. per annum, and partly from the parish fund of benefactions; five hundred and thirty children are taught at this school. The Manchester and Liverpool rail-road passes close to the village. The abbot and convent of Whalley established a small settlement of monks at this place; a small portion of the building remains, and forms part of a farm-house, bearing the name of Monks’ Hall. Robert Ainsworth, author of the Latin and English Dictionary, was born here in 1660.(1)
(1) From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, By Samuel Lewis, London, 1831. Vol. 2, page 109.
------------------------------------
Census notes for Patience VAY
1850 US Census, Utah Territory
Great Salt Lake City

Joseph Lambert, age 25, Farmer, born England
Patience Lambert, age 65, born England
--------------------

1860 US Census, Utah Territory
Cache Valley
Post Office, Brigham

Robt Redford, age 50, Laborer, born England
Patience Redford, age 76, born England
---------------------
Immigration notes for Patience VAY
Immigration Record from “Mormon Immigration Index” cd, Copyright 2000:

PRESTON, Patience <1783> Rochester 1841
Gender: F Age: 58 Origin: England Occ: Mason

(Note: This is the only entry in the “Mormon Immigration Index” that matches what is already known of Patience Vay Lambert. The mistake in the surname may be attributed to a recording error by the ship’s pursor.)

Ship: Rochester
Date of Departure: 21 Apr 1841
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
LDS Immigrants: 130
Church Leader: Brigham Young
Date of Arrival: 20 May 1841
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Source(s): Customs #178 (FHL #002,289)

"EIGHTH COMPANY. -- Rochester, 130 souls. Tuesday April 20th, 1841, Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith and Willard Richards and family went on board the ship Rochester, Captain Woodhouse, at Liverpool, bound for New York, with a company of one hundred and thirty saints. Captain Woodhouse delayed his sailing two days, to accommodate the Elders. The Rochester sailed on the twenty-first and arrived at the quarantine ground at New York May 19th, after a toilsome passage. At one time she was beset with head winds and a tedious storm, when the Apostles united in prayer, in answer to which the storm abated, the sea became calm, and the voyage was continued with rejoicing. On the twenty-eighth of April the ship encountered a tempest, shipped a heavy sea in which Apostle Woodruff got thoroughly drenched, while Willard Richards escaped under the bulwarks.

The Rochester arrived at the dock in New York about four o'clock p.m., on Thursday, May 20th, but the passengers were prevented from landing by the carters and rowdies until late in the evening. Such was the confusion in New York at that time at the arrival of a ship, steamboat or coach, that strangers were led to suppose that the city was without mayor, marshal, police or any other officer to keep the peace.

The company remained in New York until the fourth of June, when the journey was continued, under the direction of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and John Taylor, via Philadelphia to Pittsburg by railway and canal transportation. They traveled on what was then called the swift line, for which they paid fourteen dollars for each adult; the slow line carried passengers for nine dollars. After staying four days at Pittsburg, they set sail [on the Ohio river] on the steamboat Cicero, June 12th, and after having proceeded about fifteen miles the boat ran on a sand bank, where it was detained three days; in fact the boat ran aground several times, the water being very low, and the passengers were three weeks on board before they arrived in Nauvoo. The weather was also extremely warm. Apostle Kimball, in a communication to the Millennial Star, advised future emigrants to come by way of New Orleans, on which route the accommodations would be better and the fare less, and he also recommended that British Saints should sail in the cool part of the season.

The company finally arrived in Nauvoo July 1st, 1841, and was met on the river bank by about three hundred Saints who had come down to meet the new comers. A greater manifestation of love and gladness had perhaps never been witnessed among brethren in this dispensation than that which was exhibited on this occasion when the Prophet Joseph met his brethren of the Twelve, whom he loved so dearly. Joseph was the first person on board the steamer which brought the company in and gave the immigrating Saints a warm and hearty greeting."

"Wed. 21. [April 1841] -- Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith and Willard Richards sailed from Liverpool, England, on the ship Rochester, accompanied by 130 Saints. They arrived at New York May 20th."
--------------------------

From: Heart Throbs of the West, Vol. 11, p. 396

The L.D.S. Church emigration of 1850 came to Utah in ten companies under the direction of the following captains: Milo Andrus (A); Benjamin Hawkins (Ha); Aaron John (J); James Pace (P); Edward Hunter (H); Joseph Young (Y); Warren Foote (F); Wilfor Woodruff (W); Stephen Markham (M); and David Evans (E). Many independant companies continued to emigrate to the west (I).

Ibid, p.427:

They Came in ‘50

Lambert, Elizabeth, 38, Sept 8, 1812, England (Y)
Lambert, Richard, 28, Nov 22, 1822, England (Y)

Lambert, Patience Vay, 64, Oct. 13, 1786, England (Y)
Lambert, John, 30, Jan 31, 1820, England, (Y)
Lambert, Adelia G. 28, April 14, 1822, Ohio (Ha)
Lambert, Martha A., 3, Feb 24, 1847, Missouri, (Ha)
Lambert, John Carlos, 1, Sept. 20, 1849, Missouri (Ha)
Lambert, Joseph, 24, April 23, 1826
------------------------

Elizabeth and Richard stayed in Nauvoo, Illinois, with their families where they joined the RLDS church. The rest of the family apparently came with Benjamin Hawkins.
Notes for Richard (Spouse 1)
Extracted Baptism data found at FamilySearch:

name: Richard Lambert   
gender: Male
baptism/christening date: 21 Mar 1773
baptism/christening place: MARTON IN CRAVEN,YORK,ENGLAND
father's name: John Lambert
indexing project (batch) number: C10596-2
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 919152
-----------------------

The Marton in Craven Parish Records show that Richard Lambert was christened on the same day as his younger sister, Mary. ®49
------------------------------

Haggate, Lancashire, Baptist Church, records shows the following births:

Elizabeth LAMBERT, born 8 September 1813, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave in Craven
Hannah LAMBERT, born 25 June 1817, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave in Craven
John LAMBERT, born 31 January 1820, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave
Richard LAMBERT, born 17 November 1822, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Gargrave in Yorkshire
Joseph LAMBERT, born 22 apr 1826, Parents: Richard and Patience; address: Marsden Height Little Marsden
---------------------------------

Email, 10 Dec 2008, gillykh@cox.net

Hi Venita,
 The Lamberts you queried were not listed as buried at St Peters,but I did find a burial for a Richard Lambert at Haggate Baptist Chapel 25 Dec 1833,I did not find a burial for Hannah in 1839

There is a listing for a birth at Haggate for Hannah dau of Richard and Patience Lambert of Gargrave in Craven,that would be in Yorkshire,just across the border.Richard and Patience had.

Elizabeth b 8th of September 1813
Hannah born 25th June 1817
John b 31st January 1814
Richard b 17th November 1822,these births were registered at Haggate

There is also a death for a Hannah Lambert in 3rd July 1829, burial at Haggate
Hope this helps
 Gilly

11 Dec 2008

Hi Venita,
I have found an additional child
Joseph 22nd April 1826,their address was Marsden Height lt Marsden.
I did not find anything for Patience after 1826.
There is only one other Lambert family apparently using Haggate at that time,they were Joseph and Hannah,if you think there is a connection between them I will be happy to check the fiche.

You may want to check out this site
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/ of info and pictures of the area
including Haggate.

Gilly
-----------------------------

A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6
Author: William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)
Year published: 1911
Pages: 468-473

BRIERCLIFFE-WITH-EXTWISTLE
Brereclife, 1242; Brereclive, 1258; Brerecliff, 1311; Bretliff, xvii cent. Extwesl', 1260; Extwesil, 1322; Extwistle, modern.
Physically this township may be described as consisting of two ridges or westward spurs of the chain of hills dividing Lancashire from Yorkshire. Down the central valley between them flows the Don, which at the extreme south-western corner joins with the Swinden and Brun. The two parts are named Briercliffe and Extwistle, to north and south, and have areas of 2,324½ and 1,903 acres respectively, or 4,227½ acres. in all. The northern boundary is formed in part by Catlow Brook, in which two reservoirs have been formed. The highest points, ranging up to 1,400 ft. and 1,500 ft. above sea level, are near the eastern end; at the Brun, in the west, the height is only 450 ft. above the sea. The population in 1901 numbered 2,324.

A good deal of the land is moorland; the soil is clay, overlying clay and slate, and the agricultural land is mostly used for pasturage. There are cotton mills in Briercliffe, and stone quarries are worked.
The principal road is that from Burnley eastward through Briercliffe, passing through the hamlets of Harlesyke, Haggate and Lane Bottom. Towards the eastern end of the township it turns north towards Colne, but sends off a branch south-east by Higher Ridihalgh across Thursden and the Don Valley where is a ford, past the remains of Widdop Cross (1,286 ft.) on the boundary, into Yorkshire. At Haggate the road is crossed by another from Nelson, continuing south-east as Cockden Lane into Worsthorne. In the northern part of Briercliffe are the houses called Windle House, Folds House, Burwains, Hollin Greave and Pighole; in its southwest corner are Mustyhalgh, Walshaw and Widow Green. Extwistle lies near the southern boundary on the slope above Swinden Water. Monk Hall is on higher ground some distance north-east. There was a skirmish at Haggate in 1644 between Prince Rupert's forces and the Parliamentarians.

The township, now called Briercliffe simply, is governed by a parish council. A small part of the west end was added to Burnley in 1894.

In the Extwistle part, on the high moorland, are some tumuli and the sites of supposed British and Roman camps; there is another camp above Thursden. Nogworth Cross stood halfway between Extwistle Hall and Monk Hall; there is a tradition that a mischievous 'boggart' which frequented Holden to the south was 'laid' under this cross. Another cross stood at Thursden.
------------------

From: Townships: Marsden', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 536-541.

MARSDEN
Merkesden, 1195; Merclesden, Merkelstene, 1242; Merclisden, 1258.
The township of Marsden is or was divided into two parts, Great Marsden, at one time called Aske Marsden, with an area of 3,108 acres, and Little Marsden to the south-west, with an area of 1,581 acres—4,689 acres in all. The boundaries are to a great extent marked by streams. Colne Water is the northern boundary, and flows into Pendle Water, which forms the western one; Great and Little Marsden are separated by Walverden Water, flowing north-west to join Pendle Water near Reedyford, while Catlow Brook, an affluent of the Walverden, forms the southern boundary of Great Marsden. On the north-east the brook flowing down Foxclough divides Marsden from Trawden and part of Colne. In Great Marsden, Shelfield in the south-east attains 1,110 ft. above sea level, and the surface descends from it to the bounding streams in all directions except the south-east, on which side after some fall higher levels are attained on the moorlands, 1,117 ft. near the Deerstones, and 1,200 ft. on Willy Moor. In Little Marsden, in the south-east, an elevation of 900 ft. above the sea is reached near Marsden Height, from which point the surface descends in all directions. The lowest ground is of course along the streams forming the north and west boundaries, the fall of the water being from 450 ft. at Colne to 375 ft. at Reedyford and 320 ft. at the border of Reedley.

In Great Marsden near the centre is Marsden Hall with the ancient earthwork known as Castercliff to the north-east; further away are Birchenley and Lenches, this last being by Waterside Bridge, where there is a crossing into Colne. East and south-east of the hall are Slitterforth and Shelfield; to the south are Townhouse, Southfield and Catlow; to the west Hendon and Bradley; to the northwest Lee and Swinden; and to the north White Walls, Grindlestone Hurst and Whackersall, this last being near Primet Bridge, another passage into Colne. In Little Marsden the village of Marsden is or was a little north of the centre: it has been absorbed in the town of Nelson, growing up to the north-west; Linedred is to the west. Another town is Brierfield in the south-west; this has Limefield and Chamber Hill to the north and west; Lane End and Catlow Row to the east, with Scholefield, Marsden Height and Finsley further away. Walverden Reservoir has been formed at the junction of Catlow and Walverden Brooks.

Owing to the progress of the cotton manufacture, Colne has extended itself into the northern part of Marsden, while the new town of Nelson has grown up in the west; and in 1894 the old township was dissolved, about 430 acres being added to Colne, and the remainder divided between the new townships of Nelson (3,464 acres) and Brierfield (807 acres). The population of the former Marsden was 44,045 in 1901, including 3,945 in Colne, 32,717 in Nelson, and 7,383 in Brierfield.
The principal road is that from Burnley through Brierfield and Nelson to Colne; from Brierfield a road goes west by Quakers' Bridge into Pendle, and from Nelson one goes north by New Bridge to Barrowford. Other roads go east from the same places... The Leeds and Liverpool Canal also winds north through Brierfield and Nelson, passing into Barrowford over an aqueduct near Swinden...

In addition to the staple manufactures of cotton and worsted goods there are minor industries, such as brewing, quarrying, corn milling, the making of soap, confectionery, bricks and sanitary pipes and iron foundries... The agricultural land is almost entirely used for pasture...

The towns of Brierfield and Nelson have grown up near the canal and along the road from Burnley to Colne. Nelson is also on the older road between the same places, and at the place where the northward road branched off; it has spread south to include Lomeshaye and east over Bradley...

There was a cross in Little Marsden; 'Walton Spire' is a monolith on Shelfield.
--------------------------

From The Briercliff Society website: http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Photo%20Archive/Haggate/Haggate.htm

Haggate came into existence in the 17th century and, by the 1640's, there were several families living there; the Hitchin's, the Ridehalgh's, the Smith's and the Higgins'.

It appears the growth of the village was the result of two developments. The first was the increase in travel and the second was the growth in the textile industry. The latter coincides with the involvement of the Smiths of Hill End, properly Haggate Hill End, and the Ecroyds of Foulds House, in the woollen industry.

The derivation of the name has produced a number of suggestions. Walter Bennett favours the explanation that the name comes from 'hatch gate', a gate at the junction of two manors. This could be the case as Haggate is not far from the boundary between the Manors of Ightenhill and Colne, and the road through Cockden leads to the Manor of Extwistle. It has also been suggested that the name comes from 'Algotholmegate', meaning a gate or road to the home of Algantre.
Hagg is Norse for a place cleared of trees, which, if the name comes from this source, could indicate very early settlement. However, Roger Frost thinks that the clue to the meaning of the name of the village can be foubd in the earliest known spelling of the place name. Hack, as in the 1640 version of Hackgate, is a reference to a thorn tree, usually the hawthorn. It is till referred to as the 'hack tree in several places. Roger says he can't be sure of the derivation of the first syllable of the word but the second seems to be somewhat easier. 'Gate' should be seen in the same sense as Sandygate and Finsleygate in Burnley; that is, as a 'walk or road'. As Haggate stands at a crossroads which was of considerable importance in the past it seems a possible explanation.
-----------------------------
Notes for Richard & Patience (Family)
It appears that the Vay family was living in Broughton, Manchester, Lancashire, at this time.
Notes for Robert Patefield (Spouse 2)
LDS Church Membership Record:
Name: Robert Patefield Redford
Gender: Male
Birth: 1814-01-20, Pilkington, Whitefield, Lancashire, England
Death: 1865-07-23
Father: John Jones Redford
Mother: Ann Rogerson Patefield
Spouse: Lettice Brown Eckersall
Spouse: Patience Vay
LDS Bap: 3 Aug 1840
---------------------

From: “History and Genealogy of the Robert Patefield Redford Family,” by Della M. Britenbeker & Martha M. Harris, Editors and compilers, Published by Herald Printing Company, Logan, Utah, 1978.

HISTORY OF WELLSVILLE, UTAH

[Only a few paragraphs are included here]

After the arrival of Brigham Young and the Saints into Salt Lake Valley, settlements were made in all directions except to the North (Cache Valley). In Southern Utah, settlements were organized as early as 1850. The trappers, who had been in the northern valley, reported the winters were too long and cold. Even in the summer time there was frost which made the area unfavorable for agriculture. They reported plenty of hunting and fishing. Surveys showed the grass grown in the valley was excellent for summer grazing of livestock or it could be harvested as hay for winter feed.

Men were sent to Cache Valley to cut hay, prepare corrals, etc., for the stock which was to be driven to the area that fall. The fall season proved the area was not for agricultural purposed due to the cold. Herders were trapped bby the severe winter, suffering extreme hardships and privations. The livestock her of two thousand was wiped out except for about two hundred head. These were saved by making their way through the snow drifts into Box Elder Valley or subsisting on forage from willows and rushes around the temporary camp.

[When] Brigham Young and his counselors decided Cache Valley should be settled, he called Peter Maughan, who was living Tooele, Utah, asking him to lead a small group of men to the valley to see if it weere suitable for a permanent settlement. The group consisted of Peter Maughan and his son William H., George Bryan, John Tate, Morgan Morgan, and Zial Riggs. [They] left [Salt Lake City] 21 July 1856. They came through Box Elder Valley, down Caterpillar Canyon, through Sardine Canyon and entered [Cache] valley that same month. They were impressed with the area and decided on a site in the south end of the valley on the stream where Wellsville is presently located. They returned to their homes and, after reporting to Brigham Young, started preparing to return to the valley. Seven family and one single man comprised the group [that would return]: Peter Maughan and his two sons, John and William H., G. W. Bryan, Zial Riggs, Francis Gunnell, O. D. Thompson, William Hamblin and a hired had who was working for one of the men.

Traveling was good until they left Box Elder Valley, then the road was steep and rough. Many rocks and tree stumps were in the road which slowed up their journey. Arriving in the valley 15 September 1856, they began cutting wild hay and getting logs from the canyons for their cabins and corrals. They were still living in their wagons when the first ssnow came, September 26th, and greater effort was made to get the cabins built. They were single one-room buildings with a dirt floor and layers of grass and dirt on the roof. A door in one end was coverd with an old quilt or [animal] hide to keep out the cold. It was in one of these cabins that our great grandfather, Robert Patefield Redford, lived when he first came to Cache Valley. The log houses were buit and arranged in fort- style: two rows north and south with the ends left open. The settlement was called “Maughan’s Fort” and it was a first colony to settle in the valley.
-----------------------------

ROBERT PATEFIELD REDFORD

Robert Patefield Redford, son of John Redford and Ann Patefield [was] born 20 Jan 1814 at Pilkington, Whitefield, Lancashire, England, and was Christened there on 10 Apr 1814 at St. Mary’s Church ... [He] was said to be a weaver by trade, but in the 1841 [British] Census for Pilkington he is listed as a Salt Dealer. He [also] owned a green grocery. With a donkey and cart he went about Pilkington, Manchester, and other villages in the vicinity selling garden produce. He also bought and sold needles, pins, small wares, and white sand (used on flagstone floors). He made his own shoe blacking. For his pay he received glassware, bones, clean rags ( which were sold to paper makers), and other trade items.

“Mormonism” was new and unpopular in England. Robert and his friends planned to break up a missionary meeting. Because of his bold and fearless courage, Robert was chosen as the most qualified [young man] to rid the village of the hated Mormons. On his way to the meeting, Robert pondered in his mind how to carry out the instructions of his comrades. While waiting for the right moment to act, he listened to the message the Mormon missionaries were preaching.

In spite of himself, he became interested in their message and was very much impressed by the statement, “Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God.” The longer he listend the more he felt that these men were telling the truth. When the opportunity came, instead of attacking the missionaries, he warned them that dissenters were going to break up the meeting. They sent the people home, then Robert took them to his own home by a different route where he fed and protected them throughout that night and the following week.

The other dissenters waited impatiently for Robert’s return, knowing he would do the job well if anyone could. Sometime later they decided things had not gone as planned, since Robert failed to return. They proceeded to the place where the meeting was scheduled to be held. No one was there, neither Robert, nor the missionaries, nor the people. They decided either they had been misinformed about the meeting, or the missionaries had failed to appear, so they left.

Robert accepted the message of the missionaries and was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 10 Aug 1840 by Walker Johnson.

Robert had become interested in a “Mormon” girl. Lettice Eckersall was a young widow whom he met daily as she went to and from work. He wanted to be friendly with her, but she gave him no encouragement. Her attitude changed when she learned he had been converted and baptized. They were married 12 April 1841 in the Collegiate Churdh of Manchester. Thirty of their friends came to celebrate the marriage, bringing a picnic and a few gifts.

Robert, Lettice and their children lived the gospel intently. They belonged to the Radcliffe Branch and walked three miles to attend their meetings. The older boys, Joseph Smith and John, ages eight and six [at the time], carried the missionary tracts [to families] around the neighborhood then gathered them up the following week to distribute to other families. In their teens, the boys were called on to lead the singing in church meetings.

Joining the church had made Robert very unpopular in Pilkington, and his business had fallen off so much that he had a difficult time making enough money for the necessities of life for his wife and five children. Elder David B. Dille [a missionary] advised him to go to America where there were more opportunities for work. This was the uppermost desire of himself and his wife since they had joined the church. Robert decided to emigrate immediately; then, as soon as he had earned sufficient money, send for his family. Lettice agreed to the plan and gave her consent.

He left England and his family on 27 Nov 1854 in the company of W. H. Dille, sailing [from Liverpool] on the “Clara Wheeler.” In the Irish Channel they encountered a heavy gale which disabled the ship, making it necessary to stop at Queenstown, [Ireland], for repairs. They left Ireland on December 7th, and arrived at New Orleans 11 Jan 1855. [For further voyage information, see Immigration notes.]

Robert crossed the plains in Captain John Hindley’s Independent Company, driving a team of oxen for Thomas Williams, a storekeeper from Salt Lake City, where they arrived on 3 Sep 1855. He spent time in Tooele, Grantsville, and Ogden before returning to Salt Lake City. On 29 Nov 1856, he took Patience Vay Lambert as his second wife, thus participating in polygamy. Patience was a widow from Lancashire, England, who had emigrated from there in 1840 and had been in Utah since 1850. She was 28 years older than Robert and is said to have had “two yoke of oxen and a wagon which would help greatly in cultivating the new soil.” Robert hoped he could quickly earn the money he needed to send for his family in England.

In 1857, Johnston’s Army was sent by the U.S. government to invade Utah and take over the territory by force if necessary. Brigham Young sent all the families out of Salt Lake City, but kept an ‘army’ of men there to set the houses and fields on fire if necessary to thwart a take over. Robert was one of ten men stationed among the high rocks at the head of Echo Canyon with orders from President Young to retard the march of the Army. Some of the men would take turns asking for tobacco and other things to stall the army. Other men would hurry behind rocks further down the road, yelling back and forth with their comrades. The army, thinking there were many men among the rocks became frightened ... saying, “Those rocks are full of Mormons.” When Johnson and his men reached the valley entrance, they were greeted by President Young and his men. An agreement was made, and the army marched through the valley and camped on the southwest side near the Jordon River. The city was saved, and the families soon moved back to their homes.

Robert made his first trip to cache Valley in 1858, making his home in Maughan’s Fort. Because of Indian hostilities, Brigham Young asked Peter Maughan to evacuate the fort and move the settlement to a temporary location at Willard in Box Elder County. In April 1959 the danger had passed and Robert moved back to the fort with the rest of the settlers. He inquired of Bishop William H. Maughan about obtaining some land. When Bishop Maughan asked him how much he wanted, Robert replied, “As much as he or thee want.” He was given ten acres of farm land and ten acres of hay land.

Eventually the people moved from the fort to city lots in Wellsville. Robert’s first home was located in the southwest section. He built a log room with a braided willow door and a dirt roof. A white cloth was hung over the door to admit light and give some protection from the cold. The first meeting of the thirthy-sixth Quorum of Seventies, to which he belonged, was held at his home near Basin Hill. He was living in the one room log house when his two oldest sons, Joseph Smith and John, arrived from England [in 1864].

On 18 April 1865, his second wife, Patience, died at the age of 78 and was buried in the Wellsville Cemetery. Robert became ill that same spring with “dropsy,’ and died 23 July 1865 at the age of 51. He was buried next to Patience. He died not having seen his wife and three youngest children since he left England. They finally emigrated to America in 1868 [14 years after Robert] and lived on the land that Robert had homesteaded for them. Robert’s youngest son, Ephraim, was born 6 July 1855, seven months after he left England; and died 8 Nov 1865, three years before Lettice emigrated and about three months after Robert had died.
-----------------------------
Census notes for Robert Patefield (Spouse 2)
1841 Brithish Census, England
Lancashire, Prestich Cum Oldham
Pilkington

Robert Redford, age 25, born Lancashire
Lettice Redford, age 27, born Lancashire
-----------------

1851 British Census, England
Lancashire, Pilkington

Robert Redford, Head, age 38, Salt Dealer, born Lancashire, Whitefield
Lettice Redford, Wife, age 38, Domestic, born Lancashire, Whitefield
Joseph Redford, Son, age 9, Scholar, born Lancashire, Whitefield
John Redford, Son, age 7, Scholar, born Lancashire, Whitefield
Ann Redford, Daur, age 5, born Lancashire, Whitefield
Abraham, Son, age 1, born Lancashire, Whitefield.
------------------------------

1860 US Census, Utah Territory
Cache Valley
Post Office, Brigham

Robt Redford, age 50, Laborer, born England
Patience Redford, age 76, born England
-------------------------
Immigration notes for Robert Patefield (Spouse 2)
From the “Mormon Immigration Index”:
REDFORD, Robert <1815>
Gender: M
Age: 40
Origin: Radcliffe
Occ: Labourer
Note: BMR, p.189; Customs #153.

Ship: Clara Wheeler
Date of Departure: 27 Nov 1854 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
LDS Immigrants: 422 Church Leader: Henry E. Phelps
Date of Arrival: 12 Jan 1855 Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Source(s): BMR, Book #1040, pp. 172-89 (FHL #025,690); Customs #261 (FHL #200,181)

Notes: "DEPARTURE OF THE CLARA WHEELER. -- The Clara Wheeler, with 421 Saints on board, including infants, cleared for New Orleans on the 24th ultimo. Elder Henry E. Phelps took the presidency of the company, with Elders John Parson and James Crossly as his counsellors. We commend these brethren and their company to the watchful care and protection of our Heavenly Father, and trust that his blessings will constantly attend them in their journey to the land and cities of Zion."
<MS, 16:49 (Dec. 9, 1854), p.778>

"THE CLARA WHEELER put into the Mersey on the 30th November, having been driven back by stress of weather. We understand that she received no material damage and the Saints on board were generally well, with the exception of seasickness. After receiving further supplies of water and provisions, she again put to sea on the 7th instant with a favorable wind."
<MS, 16:51 (Dec. 23, 1854), p.816>

"SEVENTY-EIGHTH COMPANY -- Clara Wheeler, 422 souls. The ship Clara Wheeler, with four hundred and twenty-two Saints on board cleared the port at Liverpool November 24, 1854, bound for New Orleans. Elder Henry E. Phelps was appointed president of the company, with Elders John Parson and James Crossly as counselors. After a rough experience in the Irish Channel, being unable to proceed against the incessant head winds and rough weather, the Clara Wheeler was obliged to return to port on the thirtieth of November. During this extraordinary experience the Saints suffered considerable with seasickness. After receiving further supplies of water and provisions, the ship again put to sea on the seventh of December with a favorable wind, and on the tenth she cleared the Irish Channel after which she had a very quick trip to New Orleans, where she arrived on the eleventh of January, 1855. Soon after leaving Liverpool the measles broke out in the company, resulting in the death of twenty children and two grown persons. One child also died after the arrival at New Orleans which made twenty three deaths in all. On the twelfth of January, James McGaw, the church emigration agent at New Orleans, contracted with the captain of the steamboat Ocena, to take the passengers to St. Louis at the rate of three dollars and a half for each adult, and half of that for children between three and twelve years old; and twenty-four hours after their arrival in New Orleans, the emigrants were on their way up the river. Nearly one half of the company had not the means wherewith to pay their passage to St. Louis; but the more well-to-do Saints who had more money that they needed themselves, were influenced to lend to those who had none, and thus all who desired to continue the journey were enabled to do so. At St. Louis where the company arrived in safety, the emigrants were met by Apostle Erastus Snow and others, who gave the new arrivals a hearty welcome, and conducted them to comfortable quarters, which had been secured for their accommodation. This company, although leaving England in the latter part of 1854, really belonged to the emigration of 1855, in connection with which the Saints who crossed the Atlantic in the Clara Wheeler continued the journey to the Valley. (Millennial Star, Vol. XVI: pp.778, 815; Vol XVII: pp.10, 142, 184)."
<Cont., 13:11 (Sep. 1892), pp.514-15>
--------------------------

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868

Redford, Robert Patefield

Birth Date:
20 Jan. 1814
Death Date:
23 July 1865
Gender:
Male
Age:
41
Company:
John Hindley Company (1855)
Departure: 7 June 1855
Arrival: 3 September 1855

Company Information:
206 individuals and 46 wagons were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Mormon Grove, Kansas (Near Atchison)
-------------------------------------
"Arrivals," Deseret News [Weekly], 5 Sep. 1855, 205.
Sept, 3d, Captain John Hindley's company of immigrating Saints drove into the city, being the first arrival of the kind this season.
FIRST COMPANY—John Hindley, Captain.
Peter Burgess, David P Barnes, Miles Rosten [Rostron], Charles L Walker, George H Barnes, James Ashton, John Buckwalter, Henry S. Buckwalter, B Bunnell, James Bywater, James Barker, Zechariah Astell, Cyrus Averey, William Avery, William Beasley, J[oseph] Brown, Josiah Brown, Peter A Boyl[e], John W Coward, John Clegg, D[uncan] S Casper, John Coomish, William Coomish, Jacob B Carr, James Crancher [Cranshaw], David Duncan, Henry Dinwoody, Samuel Glascen [Glasgow], James Gibbons, William Gough, George Greenwood, John Hindley, Abraham Lawer, Darius Longee, Daved Louden, John Knowles, William Knowles, William Knox, Daniel Lunn, Willard G McMullen, Henry McMullen, Edward A Miles, J W Myers, Henry Misanger, John H Picknell, Edwin Pearse [Pierce], Josiah Pearse, Priam Pearse, Henry Perry, W A Perry, Allen T Riley, Robert Redford, George Sant, B N Stanford, Enos Sto[o]key, John Singleton, David Stromple [Streeple], Thomas Swindlehurst, Ephraim Turner, John Thornley, Robert Thornley, George S Williams, Thomas Williams, E Williams, George Water[s], Jefferson Wright, Arthur Wright, Asa Wright, John Worley, Weber Worley, Henry L Worley
67 women and 66 children. 46 wagons, 226 oxen 54 cows, 14 horses and 4 mules.
---------------------------
Last Modified 23 Jul 2013Created 9 Jan 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh