NameJohn LAMBERT ®1, M
Birth Date31 Jan 1820 ®13
Birth PlaceGargrave, Yorkshire, England
Birth MemoGargrave
Chr PlaceHaggate, Lancashire, England ®13
Chr MemoHaggate Baptist Chapel
Death Date25 Nov 1893
Death PlaceKamas, Summit, Utah, United States
Burial Date28 Nov 1893 ®6
Burial PlaceKamas, Summit, Utah, United States
Burial MemoKamas City Cemetery
OccupationMason, Stockman, Farmer
EducationVery Little Schooling, Apprenticed As A Stone Mason
ReligionThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS MissionSugar Creek, Iowa, Abt 1846
Military ServiceMember Of The Nauvoo Legion; Echo Canyon War Veteran
Public ServiceHelped Build Nauvoo And Salt Lake Temples
Cause of deathStroke
ResidenceLancashire, England -> Nauvoo, Illinois -> Salt Lake City, Utah -> Kamas, Summit, Utah
FlagsMilitary, Nauvoo Area Resident, Utah Pioneer
FatherRichard LAMBERT , M (1771-1833)
MotherPatience VAY , F (1787-1865)
Birth Date14 Apr 1822
Birth PlaceFarmington, Trumbull, Ohio, United States
Death Date4 Mar 1910
Death PlaceKamas, Summit, Utah, United States
FlagsNauvoo Area Resident, Utah Pioneer
FatherGarret Lewis GROESBECK , M (1795-1876)
MotherMercy BOSWORTH , F (1802-1888)
Marr Date6 Feb 1846
Marr PlaceNauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States
ChildrenMartha Adelaide “Ann” , F (1847-1904)
 John Carlos , M (1849-1912)
 Mary Adelia , F (1851-1935)
 Sarah Amelia , F (1853-1928)
 Richard Franklin , M (1855-1932)
 Jedediah Grant , M (1857-1924)
 UNNAMED (Stillborn), F (1859-1859)
 Ann Maria , F (1861-1948)
 Emma Cordelia , F (1864-1947)
 Mercy Harriet , F (1866-1948)
Birth Date13 Sep 1838
Birth PlaceChristianshavn, Sokkelund, København, Danmark
Chr Date11 Nov 1838 ®14
Chr PlaceVor Frelser, Sokkelund, København, Danmark
Death Date14 Sep 1921 ®4
Death PlaceKamas, Summit, Utah, United States
Burial Date18 Sep 1921 ®6
Burial PlaceKamas, Summit, Utah, United States
Burial MemoKamas City Cemetery
ResidenceKamas, Summit, Utah
Cause of deathApoplexy [Stroke] ®4
FlagsUtah Pioneer
FatherHans LARSEN , M (1806-1876)
MotherEline Dorothea Strömbör BENTZEN , F (1810-1877)
Marr Date10 Jun 1855
Marr PlaceSalt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States
ChildrenJoseph Heber , M (1856-1948)
 Ephraim , M (1858-1939)
 Dan , M (1861-1918)
 Elena Dorothy , F (1863-1957)
 Mary Elizabeth , F (1865-1908)
 Sarah Christen (Died as Infant), F (1867-1867)
 Rebecca Cornelia , F (1868-1937)
 John Benjamin , M (1871-1897)
 Laura Amanda (Died as Child), F (1873-1875)
 Parley William , M (1876-1892)
 Emeline Agnes , F (1879-1970)
 Alice Adelia (Died as Infant), F (1882-1882)
 Sarah Adelia (Died as Infant), F (1883-1883)
Notes for John LAMBERT
LDS Church Membership Record:
Name: John Lambert
Gender: Male
Birth: 1820-01-31, Gargrave, Yorkshire, England
Death: 1893-11-25
Father: Richard Lambert
Mother: Patience Vay
Spouse: Eline Hansine Larsen
Spouse: Adelia Groesbeck
LDS Bap: 14 Oct 1837

(son of Richard Lambert, born July 10, 1771, West Martin, Yorkshire, Engl., and Patience Vey of Yorshire--married Oct. 6, 1811, in Yorkshire). Born Jan. 31, 1820, at Gargrave, Yorkshire. Came to Utah Sept. 11, 1850, Lorenzo Young company. [sic]

Married Adelia G. Groesbeck Feb. 6, 1846, at Sugar Creek [sic], Iowa (daughter of Garret L. Groesbeck and Mercy Bosworth), who was born April 14, 1822; came to Utah Sept. 12, 1850, Thos Johnson company. Their children: Martha Adelaide b. Feb 24, 1847, m. William R. Green Feb. 24, 1866; John Carlos b. Sep 20, 1849, m M. A. Woodard 1882, and Olevia F. Anderson 1886; Mary Adelia, b. Sep 11, 1851, m. William Gibson 1873; Sarah Amelia, b. March 9, 1853, m. Silas M. Pack Jan. 5, 1874; Richard Franklin b. Feb 11, 1855, m. Elva E. Woolstenhulme 1886; Jedediah Grant b. July 10, 1857, m. Alice M. Myrick 1887; Ann Maria b. May 24, 1861, m. Thomas A White 1883; Emma Cordelia b Jan 5, 1864, m Don C. Pack 1896; Mercy Harriet b. March 21, 1866, m. Daniel B. Lewis Jan. 25, 1887. Family resided Salt Lake City and Kamas.

Married Elena Hansena Larsen in 1885 [sic] daughter of Hans Larsen and Elena Dorthea Benson of Denmark, pioneers Sept. 20, 1853, Capt. John Forsgren company--married Aug l, 1836, at Copenhagen, Denmark). She was born Sept 13, 1838, in Denmark. Their children: Joseph Heber b. Oct 27 1856, m Alice Matilda Mitchie Jan. 7, 1886; Ephraim b. Nov. 4, 1858, m. Agnes Catherine Harriette Mitchie April 1880; Dan b. march 2, 1861, m. May Young March 5, 1884; Eleanor [sic] Dorothea b. april 9, 1863, m Robert Moroni Mitchie Jan 7, 1886; Mary Elizabeth b. June 14, 1865, m Robert Booth Montgomery Oct. 18, 1885; Sarah Christine b. Aug 20 1867, d Sep 18, 1867; Rebecca Cornelia b Aug 30, 1868, m Ephraim Merritt Jan. 26, 1885; John Benjamin b. March 10, 1871, m. Edith Lemon Oct., 1892; Laura Amanda b. July 1, 1873, d July 3 1875; Parley William b. July 28, 1876, d Dec 4, 1892; Emeline Agnes b. May 19, 1879, m Frank Carpenter 1901; Alice Adelia b. Feb 7, 1882, d. infant. Family resided Salt Lake City and Kamas.

Member 9th quorum Seventies. Settled at Salt Lake City 1850, moved to Kamas in 1861; at both places took an active part in upbuilding of country. Member Nauvoo legion. Echo Canyon war veteran. Worked on Salt Lake temple. Brickmason. Died Nov. 25, 1893, at Kamas

Source: Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah,Esshom, p 994.

Member of the Nauvoo, Illinois Third LDS Ward.
Endowed at the Nauvoo Temple in the First Company, 2 Feb 1846. He was accompanied by his mother, Patience Vay Lambert.

Nauvoo Property:
Kimball 1st: Block 2, Lot 69
[This block is bordered by Knight, Young, Arlington, and Winchester streets,]
Located in the Second Civil Ward of Nauvoo
Seventy Quorum Membership, Ordained 1835–1846

Name: John Lambert
Birth Date: 1820
Birth Place: England
Death Date: 1893
Death Place: Utah
Father: Richard Lambert
Mother: Patience Vey
Wives: Grosbeck, Adelia (9); Larsen, Elena Hansena (12)
Ordination: 1844
Quorum: Q2, Q9
Nauvoo Data: Baptized 1837; Endowed Nauvoo Temple 2/2/46 (Seventy); Nauvoo Ward 3
Post-Nauvoo Data: Brickmason; Kamas UT

Original data: Black, Harvey B. Seventy Quorum Membership, 1835–1846: An Annotated Index of Over 3,500 Seventies Organized into the First Thirty-Five Quorums of the Seventy in Kirtland, Ohio, and Nauvoo, Illinois. Provo, Utah: Infobases, Inc., 1996. Private Donor.

Seventies Ordained Before 1850
Birth: 31 Jan 1820, Gargrove, Yorkshire County, England
Parents Richard [Lambert] and Patience Vey
Baptism: Dec 1837
Ordained Seventy or into Quorum: 24 Oct 1844 [3rd list]
Occupation: Bricklayer
Residence: Salt Lake City, Utah [4th list]
Source: Seventies Record, 2nd Quorum, 2nd list, 1850s, LDS Arc. pg 20-28; 3rd list, pg 33-34, 4th list, 1850s-70s.

Lambert, John (Male)
Birth: Lambert, John (Male) Date: January 31, 1820 Place: Gargrave, Yorkshire, ENG
Parents: Lambert, John (Male) Father: Lambert, Richard Mother: Vey, Patience
Death: Lambert, John (Male) Date: November 25, 1893 Place: Kamas, Summit, UT, USA Buried: Kamas, Summit, UT, USA
Marriage Information: Lambert, John (Male)
Spouse: Grosbeck, Adelia
Date: February 2, 1846
Place: Sugar Creek, IA, USA
Alternate Date: February 6, 1846
Alternate Date: February 26, 1846

Marriage Number 2 Lambert, John (Male)
Spouse: Larsen, Elena Hansena
Date: June 10, 1855
Place: Endowment House in Salt Lake City,

Church Ordinance Data: Lambert, John (Male)
Baptism Date: October 14, 1837
Baptism Date: December 1837 Officiator: Francis Moon
Baptism Date: February 14, 1839
Ordained Seventy Date: October 24, 1844 Officiator: John Eldridge
Member of Nauvoo Quorums 2 and 9.
Temple Ordinance Data: Lambert, John (Male)
Endowment Date: February 2, 1846 Temple: Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USA
Endowment Date: February 6, 1846 Temple: Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USA
Sealed to Parents Date: March 20, 1913
Sealed to Spouse Number 1 Date: June 30, 1853 Temple: Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT, USA
Sealed to Spouse Number 2 Date: June 10, 1855 Temple: Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT, USA
Places of Residence: Lambert, John (Male)
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT, USA
Kamas, Summit, UT, USA
Vocations: Lambert, John (Male)

Comments: Lambert, John (Male)John came to Utah September 11, 1850 in the Lorenzo Young [sic] company. John was a member of the 9th quorum of seventies. He settled at Salt Lake City in 1850, moved to Kamas in 1861. At both places he took an active part in the upbuilding of the country. Member of Nauvoo Legion. Echo Canyon war veteran. Worked on Salt Lake Temple.
Comments: #21. In 1850, John had a household of 4, a real wealth of $100, and no personal wealth.
Comments: #31. John was in the 9th Quorum of Seventy.
Comments: #41. John was a member of the Nauvoo, Illinois Third [LDS] Ward.

Source: Early LDS Membership records

Resided in the 11th Ward of Salt Lake City, 1852 - 1861

From: Encyclopedic History of the LDS Church:
SALT LAKE CITY 11TH WARD, Ensign Stake, Salt Lake Co., Utah, consists (1930) of the Latter-day Saints residing in that part of Salt Lake City which is bounded on the north by South Temple St..., east by 12th East and Elizabeth streets ..., south by 3rd South St ..., and west by 6th East St.

The 11th Ward was one of the nineteen ecclesiastical wards into which Salt Lake City was organized in February, 1849. John Lytle was chosen as Bishop. He acted without counselors from 1849 to July 13, 1851, when the ward was more fully organized...

The early settlers of the 11th Ward rented a log cabin for $2.50 a month to be used for school and ward purposes, which served until an adobe school house, 20x30 feet, was erected during the winter of 1854-1855. A rock meeing house was erected in 1873-1875, which served for meeting and school purposed until 1914... The 11th Ward belonged to the Salt Lake Stake of Zion until 1904, when it became part of the Ensign Stake.

"The two forts that were built in the valley were the Sage Bottoms Fort, in 1866 just south of Peoa in the Woodenshoe area, and the other was the Rhoades Valley Fort in Kamas in 1867"

"The Roades Valley Fort was built on the block now occupied by the DUP Relic Hall, the fire station and the Kamas Town Hall. [The fort covered most of the block surrounded by Main Street, Center Street, First West and First South. Beaver Creek runs through the northeast corner of the block.]... According to the brass plaque on the front of the DUP building, it was 'erected 1866-67 for protection against hostile Indians... Was 30 rods square with walls 16 feet high, built of logs that formed the back walls of the houses, with gates in the east and west walls. There was about 47 families who lived in the fort from the time of its erection until it was abandoned in about 1870."


Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church…
KAMAS WARD, Summit Stake, Summit Co., Utah, consists of Latter-day Saints residing in the central part of the Kamas Prairie. The town of Kamas is located on Beaver Creek, close to the mountains on the east side of the valley, 14 miles east of Park City, 17 miles northeast of Heber City (in Wasatch Co.) and 25 miles southeast of Coalville, the stake headquarters. 

Kamas Prairie or Rhodes Valley, as it is sometimes called, was settled by Latter-day Saints in the spring of 1860. Among these settlers were Thomas Rhodes (in whose honor the valley was named) and George W. Brown, who with their two families were the only ones who spent the winter of 1860–1861 in the district. They had a considerable amount of stock, and at that time there was much danger to their herd from depredations of bears and other wild animals which roved in the vicinity. It also became necessary in 1866 to erect a fort as a protection against hostile Indians, near the present center of Kamas. Other settlers joined the first-comers and Thomas Rhodes (affectionately known as “Father” Rhodes) had general supervision over the settlement. In 1861 Wm. G. Russell was appointed [p387] presiding Elder. He was succeeded in 1866 by Peter Carney, who was succeeded in 1867 by Ward E. Pack, who was succeeded in 1868 by Willet S. Harder. In 1869 the saints at Kamas erected a substantial bridge across the Weber River, which was a great benefit to the settlement and to the surrounding country. In 1870 Bishop Samuel Frank Atwood was called to preside at Kamas, although no ward organization at that time had been effected, but on July 9, 1877, Kamas was organized as a ward with Samuel F. Atwood as Bishop. He acted in this capacity until 1901, when he was succeeded by Dan Lambert, who was succeeded in 1908 by Merrit Newton Pack, who was succeeded in 1916 by George Christensen, who was succeeded in 1920 by Vincent Shepherd, who was succeeded in 1924 by Lorenzo Sargent, who was succeeded in 1928 by Oscar Edwin Eskelson, who presided Dec. 31, 1930, on which date the ward had 406 members, including 91 children. The total population of the Kamas Precinct in 1930 was 558, of whom 491 resided on the townsite.


As this settlement is scattered over considerable ground, for the purpose of this history, we will speak of the valley of Kamas, which extends from the Weber where it comes out of the mountains on the east of the valley, ten miles south to the Provo River, which is the southern limit of Summit County. This Kamas valley, may however, be considered the continuation of the valley of the Weber River. It is about five miles in width east and west. It nestles like a gem in the bosom of mountains that are romantically grand and beautiful. It is 1,600 feet higher than the city of Provo. Thomas Rhodes, the hunter was the pioneer of the valley. He reported to Brigham Young that he had killed bears there and wished to settle in it. He was given the privilege of doing so on condition of getting others to go with him. About 25 men went with him, among whom were Wm O. Anderson, George Smith, Theodore Smith, Robert and Sandy Watson, Alfred Fullmer, Peter McCue, George Brown, Horace Lamb, Charles Lambert, Wm. McClellan, George Brabbet, and Horace Drake. They built a stockade near a spring one mile north of town. This was accomplished in the spring of 1857. After the fort was built, on account of dissatisfaction among the Indians, the men returned to Salt Lake City. John Lambert, Samuel Turnbow, James Davis, Samuel Williams, and William and Charles Russell and others went into the valley in 1861, and found Mr. Rhodes with his family already there.

For four years but little grain was produced for food and that was of poor quality. In the winter of 1861-62, the only machinery for grinding this poor wheat was an old coffee mill. This, though kept running day and night could not supply the needs of the people, and some of the wheat had to be boiled to make it available for food. There was little to eat except the wheat, but doubtless the cold weather, good health and short diet gave a relish to this poor food. The first school-house was built on the north side of Bean Creek as early as 1863, in which Mrs. Betsy Ann Deluche taught the first school. Wm. Russell first directed the affairs of the valley as ecclesiastical president. As stated in the history of Peoa, Kamas joined that settlement in forting up in the spring of 1866. They returned to Kamas in the autumn and built a fort of hewn logs 20 rods square and 16 feet high. The old school-house was moved into the center of the fort to answer the double purpose of school and meeting house. The yard for animals were as usual in such cases arranged around the fort outside. The first postmaster of Kamas was George B. Leonard.

Twice a city plat was surveyed and the location changed. The final survey was made in February, 1871, by A.F. Doremus, under the direction of Bishop S.F. Atwood, whose ward at that time included Kamas, Peoa, Rockport, Wanship and Parley’s Park. A good frame school-house 24 by 40 feet, was erected in 1874. When the Summit Stake of Zion was organized, S.F. Atwood was installed local bishop of Kamas. The good morals of the people are evidenced by the fact, that although there have been efforts made to establish the sale of spiritous liquors, those efforts have not been sustained by the people sufficiently to be a success.

The character of the country insures general good health to the people and the increase of population is rapid. The Co-operative Mercantile Institution takes the lead in business. There are immense pine forests in the surrounding mountains, and the making of lumber is a leading industry. It mostly finds a market in Park City. As with other settlements on the upper Weber, stock-raising was at first the principal source of profit to the people, but owing to the favorable change in the seasons, farming is assuming considerable proportions. Some fruit has been grown and there is a prospect of partial success in this direction. The people of Kamas valley number about 1,000.

Tullidge, Edw. W. Tullidge’s Histories, Vol II, Edw. W. Tullidge, Proprietor and Publisher, from the Press of the Juvenile Instructor, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1889, pp. 129-131.

Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church:

PEOA WARD, Summit Stake, Summit Co., Utah, consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the village of Peoa and a number of scattered settlers along the Weber River. The Weber River makes a short bend from a westerly to a northerly direction about one mile south of Peoa, and the settlement is located in the bend of the river thus formed. The ward meeting house, a rock building, is located about 15 miles southeast of Coalville and 12 miles northeast of Park City.
It is claimed that in 1857 Judge Wm. W. Phelps, with others, came on to the grounds where Peoa now stands with a view to making a settlement there and that Bro. Phelps drove stakes into the ground and named the place Pe-oh-a, the Indian word for marry. This name (Peoa) was retained by the later settlers. In 1860 several families came, put up log houses and took up their residence there. David O. Rideout was the first presiding Elder. He was succeeded in 1862 by Abraham Marchant, who was shortly afterwards ordained to the office of a Bishop and presided over the southern part of Summit County, including Peoa, Rockport, Wanship and Kamas, as well as acting as local Bishop of Peoa. When the Summit Stake of Zion was organized [p650] in 1877 Abraham Marchant was continued as Bishop of Peoa and acted in that capacity until his death, Oct. 6, 1881. In 1882 he was succeeded by Stephen Walker, who was succeeded in 1901 by Arthur Maxwell, jun., who was succeeded in 1916 by Abraham Franklin Marchant, who was succeeded in 1923 by James A. Maxwell, who was succeeded in 1925 by Hyrum A. Jorgensen, who presided Dec. 31, 1930, on which date the ward had a membership of 190, including 45 children. In 1930 the Peoa Precinct had a total population of 211.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848, p. 279

“GARGRAVE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York; containing 1761 inhabitants, of whom 1176 are in the township of Gargrave, 4½ miles (W. N. W.) from Skipton. The parish comprises 11,570 acres, of which 3490 are in the township; 10,427 are meadow and pasture, 483 woodland, 201 arable, and 276 common. The population is partly employed in a large worsted and cotton mill.

“The scenery is picturesque, and the village is pleasantly situated on the river Aire, over which is a bridge of three arches: the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes near. A fair for cattle, numerously attended, takes place on the 11th of December. The living is a vicarage... The church is a handsome structure, principally in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. At Cold Coniston is a second incumbency. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The poor have some land yielding £55 a year, the produce of various benefactions. Here are a Roman pavement and an encampment.”
Census notes for John LAMBERT
LAMBERT, JOHN, 1842 Nauvoo, Illinois Census, 2ND [CIVIL] WARD [Last entry on the list]

1860 United States Census
County of Salt Lake, Territory of Utah
Post Office: Great Salt Lake City
Page 243, 11th Ward

John Lambert, age 39, Bricklayer, born England
Adelia Lambert, age 38, born Ohio
Martha A. Lambert, age 13, born Missouri
John C. Lambert, age 10, born Missouri
Mary A. Lambert, age 8, born Utah
Sarah A. Lambert, age 7, born Utah
Richard F. Lambert, age 5, born Utah
Jedediah G. Lambert, age 3, born Utah

Second household:
Page 129, 2nd Ward

John Lambert, age 39, Mason, born England
Ansenia Lambert, age 21, born England [sic]
Joseph Lambert, age 3, born Utah
Ephraim Lambert, age 1, born Utah

Household Record  1880 United States Census
Census Place Peoa, Summit, Utah
 John LAMBERT   Self   M   Male   W   60   ENG   Farmer 
 Adelia LAMBERT   Wife   M   Female   W   58   OH   Housekeeping   
 Eleni A. LAMBERT   Wife   M   Female   W   42   DEN   Housekeeping   
 John C. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   30   MO   At Home   
 Richard F. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   25   UT   At Home   
 Jedediah LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   22   UT   At Home    
 Ann M. LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   19   UT   At Home    
 Joseph LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   23   UT   At Home   
 Danl. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   19   UT   At Home    
 Lena LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   17   UT   At Home    
 Emma LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   16   UT   At Home    
 Elizabeth LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   15   UT   At Home   
 Mercy H. LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   14   UT   At Home    
 Cornelia LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   11   UT   At Home    
 Benj. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   9   UT       
 Parley W. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   3   UT       
 Emeline LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   1   UT       
Source Information:
  Family History Library Film   1255338
  NA Film Number   T9-1338
  Page Number   33C
© 1999-2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.  All rights reserved.  English approval: 3/1999
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use (last updated: 3/22/1999).
Privacy Policy (last updated: 10/12/2001).
Immigration notes for John LAMBERT
From: Mormom Immigration Index, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2000, CD

LAMBERT, Elizabeth <1815>, F, age 25, Origin England, Occ. Stock Maker
LAMBERT, John <1821>, M, age 19, Origin England
LAMBERT, Richard <1823>, M, age 17, Origin England
LAMBERT, Joseph <1824> [sic], M, age 16, Origin England

Ship: North America
Date of Departure: 8 Sep 1840
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
LDS Immigrants: 201
Church Leader: Theodore Turley
Date of Arrival: 12 Oct 1840
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Source(s): Customs #779 (FHL #002289); NSHP; Diary of William Clayton, pp. 73-96.

Notes: SECOND COMPANY -- North America, about 200 souls. Saturday, September 5th, 1840, Apostles Brigham Young and Willard Richards went from Manchester to Liverpool, and in the evening organized a company of Saints bound for New York, by choosing Elder Theodore Turley, a returning missionary, to preside, with six counselors, among whom was Elder William Clayton, one of the earliest English converts. Apostles Brigham Young and Willard Richards went on board the North America on Monday the 7th, and remained with the Saints on board over night. On Tuesday morning, about nine o’clock, the vessel was tugged out by a steamer. The Apostles accompanied the emigrants about fifteen miles and then left them in good spirits. The company had a prosperous voyage to New York, where they arrived in the beginning of October, and from there they continued the journey to Buffalo, New York. Owing to the expensiveness of the route many of the emigrants fell short of means to complete the journey to Nauvoo, they therefore divided at Buffalo, a part going to settle in and around Kirtland, Ohio, while the balance, under the leadership of Theodore Turley, continued the journey to Nauvoo, to which place Joseph the Prophet states he had the pleasure of welcoming about one hundred of them, about the middle of October, 1841.
<Cont. 12:12 (Oct 1891), p. 442>

Subject: Pioneer Submission
Date: October 28, 2004 8:18:39 AM MDT

With regard to your request to add John Lambert's family to the 1850 Lorenzo Young company in the pioneer database on the Church web site:

We had the Lamberts in the 1850 unidentified company category with a note that they might have traveled in the Young company. However the John Lambert 1893 statement proves that they were in the Hawkins company. If he traveled "in the company of Thomas Johnson," then he was in the Hawkins company because Johnson was a captain of fifty in that company. I am including the portion of his statement referring to his crossing the plains on our web site, too. I don't know why his daughter, Elena, stated that her father came in the Young company, but John Lambert's statement is a much more contemporaneous record. In instances when we have a conflict in documentation, we are much more apt to accept his word than the word of a daughter [Elena] who didn't actually go on the journey, but was born 13 years afterwards.

John Lambert’s statement:
“[I], John Lambert, first heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints preached by Frances Moon (a missionary) in England [in the] year 1837. [My sister, two brothers and I] emigrated in the fall of 1840 on the sail ship North America, [a] 32 day voyage. [We] landed in New York, took [a] steamboat on the Hudson River 160 miles to Buffalo, then took the Lakes to Chicago, 1000 miles. Then went by wagon (horses, I think) to Dixon's Ferry, 110 miles to Rock River. Then [we] built a flat boat and sailed down Rock River to the Mississippi, about 150 miles, then down the Mississippi River to Commerce (Nauvoo), remaining there until the spring of 1846.

“Then [we] went to Saint Joseph [Missouri] by ox team, then to Jackson County [Missouri] by team to visit my first wife's (Adelia Groesbeck) folks in Sugar Creek, Iowa. [We] visited my brother, Richard, in Hancock County, Illinois, returned to Jackson County, remained there until in the spring of 1850. Then [we] went to Bethleham, north 350 miles, to the Missouri River, traveled with ox team. Then [we] started for Salt Lake City, Utah, with ox team in the company of Thomas Johnson. [We] arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah, 11 Sep 1850. [We] lived there eleven years in the second ward and fenced the first lot in this ward. [We] moved to Kamas, Summit County, in the spring of 1861, April. I had been there six or eight months before.”

Thomas Johnson Company
Source: Nelson, William Goforth, Reminiscences, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 9 Sept. 1850, 6-7.

Two companies of Saints arrived in G. S. L. City. William Goforth Nelson, who was with one of these companies wrote as follows:

It was on the 8th day of May, 1850, that we started from Mt. Pisgah to Council Bluffs and thence crossed the plains to Salt Lake Valley. We started with two good wagons and good ox teams. We also had a number of cows. We traveled pretty much alone until we had come four miles west of Council Bluffs, where we found a camp of Saints, and on June 4th the camp was organized with Thomas Johnson as captain.

The following day we were ready to start on our journey west. There were fifty wagons in the company. ... Our journey was quite a pleasant one. We had good luck, no Indian trouble whatever, and only three deaths occurred in our company on the trip. The first one of these was a woman, the wife of a man named Wilkinson. She was buried on the west side of the mouth of "Ash Hollow". The second was my cousin, Dr. Thomas Goforth, who was buried a little east of "Chimney Rock". The next, a few day later, was a Brother Borum. Melvin Ross and I dug the grave and buried it. These persons were buried in graves made with a vault in the bottom. The bodies were wrapped in a quilt, blanket or wagon cover, whichever could best be spared and would then be placed in the vault; timbers put across and hay spread over and then covered with dirt... While on the plains we saw a great many herds of Buffalo. When they were on their trails leading to watering places, they would not get out of our way, and if they were trailing across our road, we would be compelled to stop our teams until they would have time to pass. But if they were feeding we could not get near them.

We reached Salt Lake City, Sept. 9, 1850, and camped on the public square for two days.

The L. D. S. Church emigration of 1850 came to Utah in ten companies under the direction of the following captains: Milo Andrus (A); Benjamin Hawkins (Ha); Aaron Johnson (J); James Pace (P); Edward Hunter (H); Joseph Young (Y); Warren Foote (F); Wilford Woodruff (w); Stephen Markham (M); and David Evans (E). Many independent companies continued to emigrate to the west (I).

Company assignments:

Lambert, Elizabeth 38 Sept. 8, 1812 England Y
Lambert, Richard 28 Nov. 22, 1822 England Y
Lambert, Patience Vay 64 Oct. 13, 1786 England Y
Lambert, John 30 Jan. 31, 1820 England Y

Lambert, Adelia G. 28 April 14, 1822 Ohio Ha
Lambert, Martha A. 3 Feb. 24, 1847 Missouri Ha
Lambert, John Carlos 1 Sept. 20, 1849 Missouri Ha
Lambert, Joseph Benj 24 April 23, 1826

Elizabeth and Richard stayed in Hancock County. John and his family (Adelia, Martha A., and John Carlos) came with the Hawkins Company. Patience and Joseph are not found in any company list, but it is assumed that they also came with the Hawkins Company. ~ Venita

"Emigration (From the Frontier Guardian, June 12th, 1850)," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star 15 Aug. 1850, 252-53.

We have attended the organization of 350 wagons of Salt Lake Emigrants up to Saturday 8th inst., Capt. Milo Andrews [Andrus] is a-head with fifty wagons. Next follows, Capt. Benjamin Hawkins with one hundred; Thomas S. Johnson, Capt. of 1st Division, and ---- Capt. of Second Division. We left them at Council Grove 12 miles from Bethlehem west of the Missouri river, on the morning of the 7th inst. Next in succession is Bishop Aaron Johnson with a train of one hundred wagons; Elisha [Elijah] Everett [Averett], Capt. of 1st Division, and Matthew Caldwell, Capt. of the 2nd Division. Next in order is Capt. James Pace with one hundred. Richard Session, Capt. of 1st Division, and David Bennett, Capt. of 2nd Division. The Emigrants are generally well fitted out with wagons and teams, provisions, &c.

There are some wagons quite too heavy. Those brought from St. Louis are good, but too heavy. A heavy wagon with a stiff tongue is unsuitable for the journey. Let no person hereafter buy a wagon for this trip unless its tongue has a joint in the hounds forward of the axletree. Light wagons that will bear from sixteen to twenty hundred pounds, are the most suitable for this service. These heavy lumber concerns should be left here, and not used by our people, neither by anybody else, unless they choose.

The number of California wagons that have crossed at this point, is about 4,500 averaging 3 men to the wagon, making 13,500 men, and about 22,000 head of horses, mules, oxen, and cows.

Our own emigration to Salt Lake Valley will amount to about 700 wagons as nearly as we, at present, can determine. They take two new carding machines in addition to one sent last year, besides much other valuable machinery. They also take about 4000 sheep and 5000 head of cattle, horses, and mules.

With the facilities for improvement that are already in the Valley, and those that are now going, we may expect to see that hitherto, desolate region, growing rapidly into importance, and consideration. Success to the West, and to Western enterprize, to Western men and measures! "Let the Wilderness and the solitary place be glad for them, and the desert rejoice and blossom as the rose."
Notes for Adelia (Spouse 1)
LDS Church Membership Record:
Name: Adelia G. Groesbeck
Gender: Female
Birth: 1822-04-14, Farmington, Trumbull, Ohio
Death: 1910-03-04
Father: Garret Lewis Groesbeck
Mother: Mercy Bosworth
Spouse: John Lambert
LDS Bap: 5 Feb 1846

Endowed in the Nauvoo Temple in the Sixth Company on 7 Feb 1846

Sugar Creek Camp was the first winter encampment in Iowa nearest Nauvoo and is approximately six miles west of Montrose


Birthdate: 14 Apr 1822, Farmington, Trumbull, Ohio
Death: 4 Mar 1910, Kamas, Summit County, Utah
Parents: Garett Louis Groesbeck & Mercy Bosworth Groesbeck
Pioneer: 12 Sep 1850, Thomas Johnson Wagon Train
Spouse: John Lambert
Married: 6 Feb 1846, Nauvoo, Illinois
Death: 25 Nov 1893, Kamas, Utah


Martha Adelaide, 24 Feb 1847
John Carlos, 20 Sep 1849
Mary Adelia, 11 Sep 1851
Sarah Amelia, 0 Mar 1853
Richard Franklin, 11 Feb 1585
Jedediah Grant, 10 July 1857
Stillborn daughter, summer 1859
Ann Marie, 24 May 1861
Emma Cordelia, 5 Jan 1864
Mercy Harriet, 21 Mar 1866


Improvement Era, 1939

By A. C. LAMBERT, Ph. D., Brigham Young University


How startled you would be to open your household account book today and read: flour, one hundred pounds, six dollars; one washtub, five dollars; one boiling pot, three dollars; shoemaking, twenty-one dollars fifty-five cents; pork, twenty-five cents a pound; butter, twenty-five cents a pound; cheese, twenty-five cents a pound; one horn brand, five dollars fifty cents; one pair flat irons, five dollars; one yoke of cattle, one hundred dollars. These would be interesting entries, indeed, and they are real entries. An account book lying open on the writer's desk contains these items.

But the date on the yellowing leaves of this book is 1861. The entries are in good handwriting, some in faded ink, and some in legible pencil. As one scans the pages of this little book the door of a one-room log cabin seems to swing open and reveal fragments of the financial transactions of a young pioneer couple just getting settled in "Rhoades Valley," Utah, during the first year of the Civil War.

From this account book, kept in a woman's handwriting, that of Adelia Lambert, wife of John Lambert, living in Rhoades Valley, Utah, in the early sixties, there come these items:

"Paid David Eubanks

2 pounds of butter 50 cts.

2 pounds of cheese 62 cts.

19 pounds of pork 25 cts. per lb.

16 pounds of flour 6 cts. per lb.

2 pounds of cheese 50 cts.

4 pounds of salt 15 cts.

"July 14th, 1861

Paid Wm. R. Green

1 sheep, 7 dollars

"April 17th, 1861

For herding and wintering a steer up to the 1st Dec., 1863, 14 dollars

One complete page of accounts, ruled up in orderly columns, contains these items:

"Received of Samuel Peterson $

1 yoke of cattle 100

1 wagon 100

1 cow 40

1 coat 16

Tools 18.50

Sole Leather 8.50

Shoe Making 21.55

Horn Brand 5.50

Pair of Flat Irons 5

1 Boiling Pot 3


"I have receipted this 318.05

"Received on boot between oxen

leather from Smith 8

Pork 16 lbs. 1 dollar's worth of beef 1

Received Ropes 8.50

Wagon bed lumber 7

Lead .40

1 wash tub 5

1 wash tub, 1 bucket 7

Pots from the Potters .85

Nails 5

The purchases and sales recorded through the book at irregular intervals reflect a very narrow range of food articles purchased by this pioneer household. Of the fifty-nine entries of purchases recorded on three pages of this little book, twenty entries are for flour with a total of 303 pounds. Butter is the item in twenty-seven entries that total 46 pounds. A total of 17 pounds of cheese is accounted for in ten entries. Two entries occur for a total of 7 pounds of salt. All but one of the few entries that remain and that list sale or purchase of dressed meat call for either mutton or pork. Cattle had value for power as well as for food.

The account book from which these entries are taken belonged to the writer's paternal grandfather, John Lambert, who was born at "Gargrave,"England, January 31, 1820, and who settled finally in Rhoades Valley, Summit County, Utah. The book is now in the possession of one of the daughters of this pioneer. The accounts were kept by one of his two wives, Adelia Groesbeck Lambert, whom he married in Nauvoo, February 6, 1846.


This little book, measuring six inches long, three and three-fourth inches wide, and less than one-half inch thick, is remarkably well preserved. Curiously enough, it was probably first owned by a Thos. Cottam whose name in large hand printing stands out boldly on the inside of the first cover in letters one-half inch high. Two sentences, each in a different handwriting, stand beneath the two different inscriptions of the name of Thos. Cottam, and they state that this book was "Bought at St. Louis, Mo., U. S., July 3rd, 1845," and that Cottam, evidently, was "Formerly from Waddington, Clitheroe, Lancashire, Old England."

A small book, ninety-two years old, most of its pages are still unmarked, and notes and records scattered through the leaves are all too brief. The picture of that dramatic past is left very dim, and parts of it can never possibly be filled in. The loss is great.

How many families of today wish that records of the past had been easier to make and to preserve! And what a tragedy that so little can be done about it. But one thing we today can do is build our records well for those who yet will come to read them. We should make records, and we should record with intelligence and discrimination. Then the records that we make must be preserved. This is our obligation to the future.
Census notes for Adelia (Spouse 1)
1840 United States Census
Iowa Territory, Lee County
Township 68, Range 6W

G. L. Groesbeck with wife, 3 sons, 4 daughters

1850 US Census, Iowa
Lee County, Dist 29

Garrett Grosebeck, age 54, Farmer, born New York
Mercy Groesbeck, age 48, born New York
Henry Groesbeck, age 25, Farmer, born Ohio
William Groesbeck, age 20, Farmer, born Ohio
Amelia Groesbeck, age 18, born Ohio
Harriet Groesbeck, age 10, born Iowa
Dan Van Ness Groesbeck, age 8, born Iowa
Cordelia Groesbeck, age 3, born Iowa
Jane Groesbeck, age 21, born Ohio

1860 United States Census
County of Salt Lake, Territory of Utah
Post Office: Great Salt Lake City
Page 243, 11th Ward

John Lambert, age 39, Bricklayer, born Englandd
Adelia Lambert, age 38, born Ohio
Martha A. Lambert, age 13, born Missouri
John C. Lambert, age 10, born Missouri
Mary A. Lambert, age 8, born Utah
Sarah A. Lambert, age 7, born Utah
Richard F. Lambert, age 5, born Utah
Jedediah G. Lambert, age 3, born Utah

Household Record  1880 United States Census
Census Place Peoa, Summit, Utah
 John LAMBERT   Self   M   Male   W   60   ENG   Farmer 
 Adelia LAMBERT   Wife   M   Female   W   58   OH   Housekeeping   
 Eleni A. LAMBERT   Wife   M   Female   W   42   DEN   Housekeeping   
 John C. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   30   MO   At Home   
 Richard F. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   25   UT   At Home   
 Jedediah LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   22   UT   At Home    
 Ann M. LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   19   UT   At Home    
 Joseph LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   23   UT   At Home   
 Danl. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   19   UT   At Home    
 Lena LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   17   UT   At Home    
 Emma LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   16   UT   At Home    
 Elizabeth LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   15   UT   At Home   
 Mercy H. LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   14   UT   At Home    
 Cornelia LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   11   UT   At Home    
 Benj. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   9   UT       
 Parley W. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   3   UT       
 Emeline LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   1   UT       
Source Information:
  Family History Library Film   1255338
  NA Film Number   T9-1338
  Page Number   33C
© 1999-2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.  All rights reserved.  English approval: 3/1999
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use (last updated: 3/22/1999).
Privacy Policy (last updated: 10/12/2001).
Immigration notes for Adelia (Spouse 1)
From Adelia’s history, author unknown:
“...They could have come to Utah with the pioneers of 1847, but her husband wished to get a little better fixed to start the journey westward. So he worked at his trade as a brick mason in St. Joseph, Missouri, (where their first child, Martha Adelaide, was born) and in Kansas City, Missouri, (where John Carlos was born).

“Adelia, while living in Missouri, wished to add to their income. So she made moccasins and trimmed them with fancy bead work and sold them to the Indians. [She] also made men's suits. She was an expert tailor and seamstress, doing all the sewing by hand. She made suits for her husband.

“In 1850, they started West, better equipped, perhaps, than most who crossed the plains in those days. They had gotten one yoke of black Spanish cows, one yoke of oxen, a good wagon with bows and cover with which to make the journey westward. One of the cows gave milk and Adelia would milk her each morning. She put the milk into a small covered bucket and fastened it to the back of the wagon, so every night they would have butter and buttermilk.

“Despite that, the trip was long and hard, lasting three months. Their difficulties were increased because the two children had the whooping cough the entire way, and her husband bruised his heel and a felon developed from which he suffered terribly. She drove the oxen part of the time to let him rest. Sometimes they would get a bit unruly so he would have to get out of the wagon, hop on one foot and whip them. They arrived in Salt Lake City on September 11, 1850.”
Notes for Eline Hansene (Spouse 2)
Vor Frelser Kirkebøg: Born 1838, 13th September, Eline Hansine Larsen, baptized 11th November 1838 in the church. Parents: Sailor Hans Larsen and his wife, Eline Dorothea Strömberg Bentzen, Dronningensgade No 250.

LDS Church Membership Record:

Name: Elena Hansena Larsen
Gender: Female
Birth: 1838-09-13, Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Death: 1921-09-13
Father: Hans Larsen
Mother: Eline Dorothea Strombor Bentzen
Spouse: John Lambert
LDS Bap: 6 Sep 1850

From Scandinavian Journal History:
“Friday 6 Sep 1850: Elder George Parker Dykes baptized Eline Hansine Larsen, age 12, daughter of Hans and Eline Larsen, a member of the Church, she being the first young lady baptized in Danmark in this dispensation by divine authority.”

The Christianshavn district
The Christianshavn district, just southeast of the inner city, is primarily located on an artificial island... The Christianshavn Canal, one of the few canals left in the center of Copenhagen, gives the area its special feeling, which often invokes the image of a Copenhagen Amsterdam. Old and new boats line the canal, which is a popular place... Our Saviour’s Church ("Vor Frelsers Kirke") with its unique corkscrew tower.

Christianshavn covers an area of 3.43 km², and includes three minor islands to the north, jointly referred to as Holmen. To the south and east Christianshavn is defined by its old ramparts and separated from the island of Amager by a narrow body of water known as Stadsgraven. To the west Christianshavn borders on the Inner Harbour that separates it from Slotsholmen and the rest of Copenhagen's city centre.

During the period 1618-1623 King Christian IV erected fortification in the swampy area between Copenhagen, the area now known as the Inner City or Indre By, and the island of Amager. Five bastions were completed in 1623. At the same time the idea was hatched of creating a new merchant town in the area. In 1639 the little merchant and fortress town of Christianshavn was established. Competition however with Copenhagen was too great for the little town, and by 1674 it was incorporated into Copenhagen.

The fortification was further developed with six more bastions in the 1660s, and seven more bastions between 1682-1692. Additional reinforcements occurred between 1779-1791, and again in 1810-1813. Even though the fortifications around the Inner City were being dismantled in the late 1800s, Christianshavn's fortifications continued in use into the 1900s. Some areas were opened up in the late 1910s-1920s, and the final areas were made public space in 1961. The fortifications are a part of the total fortification system around the old part of Copenhagen, and are one of Denmark’s best preserved fortifications from the 1600s. Today the area around the fortifications is a park area.

: Christianshavn, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (16 Oct 2007).
Census notes for Eline Hansene (Spouse 2)
kbhv, København (Staden),
Christianshavn Kvarter,
Dronningensgade, , et Huus No 250, baghus 2.sal, 9,
FT [Census]-1840
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation:
Hans Larsen 34 Gift [Married] Søemand [Seaman]
Eline Dorthea Strømbør 30 Gift hans Kone [his Wife]
Eline Hansine Larsen 2 Ugift deres Datter [their Daughter]

1845 Danish Census
kbhv, København (Staden), Christianshavn Kvarter,
Overgaden oven Vandet, , 1 sidesal, 178,
FT [Census] -1845
Hans Larsen, 39, Gift [Married], Sømand [Seaman], Born: Lund, Stevns, Præstø amt [county]
Eline Dorthea Bentzen, 35, Gift, Hans kone [His wife], Born: København
Eline Hansine Larsen, 7, Ugift [Unmarried], Deres børn [Their child], Born: Christianshavn
Carl Oluf Larsen, 5, Ugift, Deres børn, Born: Christianshavn
Stine Petrine Larsen, 1, Ugift, Deres børn, Born: Christianshavn

1850 Danish Census

kbhv, København (Staden), Christianshavn Kvarter,
Christianshavn kvarter II, Sankt Annæ Gade 270,
förste sal, 2031,
FT [Census] -1850

Hans Larsen, 43, Gift [Married], pramförer [barge pilot], Born: Lund Sogn, Præstøe Amt
Emilie Dorthea Bentzen, 39, Gift, hans kone [his wife], Born: Kjöbenhavn
Eline Hansine Larsen, 12, Ugift [Unmarried], deres börn [their child], Born: Ditto
Petrine Christine, 5, Ugift, , deres börn, Born: Ditto
Maria Magdalene, 3, Ugift, , deres börn, Born: Ditto
Margrete Christine, 1, Ugift, , deres börn, Born: Ditto

1860 United States Census
County of Salt Lake, Territory of Utah
Post Office: Great Salt Lake City
Page 129, 2nd Ward

John Lambert, age 39, Mason, born England
Ansenia Lambert, age 21, born England [sic]
Joseph Lambert, age 3, born Utah
Ephraim Lambert, age 1, born Utah

1880 United States Census
Source Information:
  Family History Library Film   1255338
  NA Film Number   T9-1338
  Page Number   33C
Census Place Peoa, Summit, Utah
 John LAMBERT   Self   M   Male   W   60   ENG   Farmer 
 Adelia LAMBERT   Wife   M   Female   W   58   OH   Housekeeping   
 Eleni A. LAMBERT   Wife   M   Female   W   42   DEN   Housekeeping   
 John C. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   30   MO   At Home   
 Richard F. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   25   UT   At Home   
 Jedediah LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   22   UT   At Home    
 Ann M. LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   19   UT   At Home    
 Joseph LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   23   UT   At Home   
 Danl. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   19   UT   At Home    
 Lena LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   17   UT   At Home    
 Emma LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   16   UT   At Home    
 Elizabeth LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   15   UT   At Home   
 Mercy H. LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   14   UT   At Home    
 Cornelia LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   11   UT   At Home    
 Benj. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   9   UT       
 Parley W. LAMBERT   Son   S   Male   W   3   UT       
 Emeline LAMBERT   Dau   S   Female   W   1   UT       
© 1999-2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.  All rights reserved.  English approval: 3/1999
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use (last updated: 3/22/1999).
Privacy Policy (last updated: 10/12/2001).

1900 United States Census
State of Utah, Summit County
Kamas Precinct, Kamas Village

LAMBERT, Eleanor [sic], Head, born Sep 1838, age 61, wid, born Denmark, immig 1853
LAMBERT, Emeline A. , dau, born May 1879, age 21, mar, born Utah
LAMBERT, Mary E., gdau, born Sep 1897, age 2, born Utah

1910 United States Census
State of Utah, Summit County
Kamas Precinct

Carpenter, William F., Head, age 35, mar, born Utah
Carpenter, Emeline C., Wife, age 30, mar, born Utah
Carpenter, Pearl L., Daughter, age 7, born Utah
Carpenter, Otto W., Son, age 5, born Utah
Carpenter, Elmo D., Son, age 2, born Utah
Carpenter, Rulon L., Son, age 6mos, born Utah
Janes, Mary E., Daughter of wife, age 12, born Utah
Lambert, Elena H, Mother in law, age 71, widow, born Denmark

1920 United States Census
State of Utah, Summit County
Kamas Town 3rd Class

Carpenter, William F., Head, age 45, mar, born Utah, Dry Farmer
Carpenter, Emeline, Wife, age 40, mar, born Utah
Carpenter, Pearl L., Daughter, age 17, born Utah
Carpenter, Otto L., Son, age 15, born Utah
Carpenter, Elmo D., Son, age 13, born Utah
Carpenter, Rulon L., Son, age 10, born Utah
Carpenter, Carl F., Son, age 7, born Utah
Carpenter, Verdon A., Son, age 5, born Utah
Carpenter, Herman R., Son, age 2, born Utah
Janes, Mary E, Daughter, age 22, born Utah, Teacher
[Next door]
Lambert, Elena H., Head, age 82, widow, born Denmark
Immigration notes for Eline Hansene (Spouse 2)
Eline emmigrated from Denmark then crossed the plains to Utah with her family in the John Forsgren Company, 1853. (See notes on father, Hans Larsen)

Source:"Mormon Immigration Index"
published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
© 2000 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.

LARSEN, Hans, Gender: M Age: 46 Origin: Germany Occ: Laborer
Note: CRPC #88; Extracted from Original Passenger List
LARSEN, Elina, Gender: F Age: 42 Origin: Germany
Note: CRPC #88; Extracted from Original Passenger List
LARSEN, Elina, Gender: F Age: 13 Origin: Germany
Note: CRPC #88; Extracted from Original Passenger List
LARSEN, Christina, Gender: F Age: 8 Origin: Germany
Note: CRPC #88; Extracted from Original Passenger List
LARSEN, Maria, Gender: F Age: 5 Origin: Germany
Note: CRPC #88; Extracted from Original Passenger List

NOTE: Because the family had travelled from Denmark to Germany then to England, they were listed as originating in Germany instead of Denmark. There was also another child, John George Erastus, an infant.

Ship: Forest Monarch
Date of Departure: 16 Jan 1853
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
LDS Immigrants: 297
Church Leader: John E. Forsgren
Date of Arrival: 16 Mar 1853
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Source(s): Customs (FHL #200,173)
Notes: "DEPARTURES. . . . The Forest Monarch sailed on the 16th [OF] January, with 297 Danish Saints on board, under the presidency of Elder John Forsgren. . . ."

"SIXTIETH COMPANY. -- Forest Monarch, 297 souls. This company of emigrants was from the Scandinavian Mission, being the first large company of Saints who emigrated from Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. An earnest desire to emigrate to Zion had been manifested by many of the Scandinavian Saints since the first little company had left for the mountains a few months previous; and the elders had been busily engaged for some time past in making preparations to send off a large company.

About the beginning of December, 1852, the emigrants from the respective conferences in the mission began to gather in Copenhagen, Denmark, and on Monday, December 20th, 1852, two hundred and ninety-three Saints, including children, went on board the steamship Obotrit, and sailed from 'Toldboden' (the custom-house), at four o'clock p.m., under the leadership of Elder John E. Forsgren, one of the elders who, in connection with Apostle Erastus Snow, first introduced the gospel into Scandinavia two years before. A great multitude of people had gathered on the wharf to witness the departure of the 'Mormons,' and many of the rabble gave utterance to the most wicked and blasphemous language, while they cursed and swore, because so many of their countrymen were disgracing themselves by following 'that Swedish Mormon priest' (an appellation they gave Elder Forsgren) to America. No violence, however, was resorted to, and the ship got safely away.

After a rather stormy and unpleasant passage, the Obotrit arrived safely at Kiel, Holstein, on the evening of the twenty-second. The following day the journey was continued by rail to Hamburg, where a large hall had been hired, and supper prepared for the emigrants. In the afternoon of the twenty-fourth the Saints went on board the steamship Lion, which glided slowly with the tide down the river Elbe to Cuxhaven, where the captain cast anchor, owing to the heavy fog which prevailed. The emigrants now celebrated Christmas Eve on board, with songs and amusements of different kinds. In the morning of the twenty-fifth anchor was weighed, and the Lion sailed to the mouth of the river, where it was met by heavy headwinds, that made it impossible to reach the open sea until midnight. Finally, the passage from the river to the sea was made in the moonlight. Early in the morning of the twenty-sixth the ship passed Heligoland, soon after which a heavy gale blew up from the southwest, which increased in violence until the next day, when it assumed the character of a regular hurricane, the like of which old sailors declared they had never before experienced on the German Ocean. The ship's bridge and part of the gunwale were destroyed, and some goods standing on the deck were broken to pieces and washed overboard; otherwise, neither the ship nor the emigrants were injured. On the twenty-eighth, in the evening, after the storm had spent its fury, the Lion steamed into the harbor of Hull, England. About one hundred and fifty vessels were lost on the German Ocean in the storm, and the people in Hull were greatly surprised when the Lion arrived in safety, as it was firmly believed that she had gone under like the other ships that were lost.

From Hull, the emigrating Saints continued the journey by rail to Liverpool, on the 29th, where lodging and meals, previously ordered, were prepared for them, and on the first of January 1853, they went on board the packet ship Forest Monarch, which was hauled out of the dock and anchored in the river Mersey. There it lay until the 16th, because of storms and contrary winds. In the meantime three of the company died, two babies were born, and three fellow passengers were initiated into the Church by baptism. One man, who had been bitten by a dog was left in Liverpool, to be forwarded with the next company of emigrating Saints. One night the ship became entangled with another vessel and sustained some injuries; and a few days later, during a heavy storm, it got adrift, pulling up both anchors, and was just about to run aground, when two tug boats came to the rescue and saved it.

On the sixteenth of January, 1853, the Forest Monarch put out to sea. The emigrants now numbered two hundred and ninety-seven souls, who were placed under the direction of Elder John E. Forsgreen, in connection with whom Elders Christian Christiansen and J. H. Christiansen acted as counselors. Elders Willard Snow and Peter O. Hansen, who had accompanied the emigrating Saints to Liverpool, now returned to Copenhagen. During the voyage across the Atlantic Ocean the Forest Monarch was favored with very pleasant weather, but for several days it was a perfect calm, and in many respects the emigrants, who nearly all were unaccustomed to seafaring life, found the voyage trying and tedious. The provisions were poor, and their fresh water supply gave out before the journey was ended. Four deaths also occurred, and three children were born during the voyage.

On the eighth of March, 1853, the ship arrived safely at the mouth of the Mississippi River, where five of the company died, and on the arrival at New Orleans, on the sixteenth, two others departed this life, and one family who had apostatized remained in that city. From New Orleans the journey was continued by steamboat up the Mississippi River to St. Louis Missouri, where the emigrants landed on the thirty-first. In that city, tents and other commodities needed for the overland journey were purchased. After tarrying about a month, during which time six of the emigrants died and two couples were married, the company left St. Louis and proceeded by steamboat about two hundred miles further up the river to Keokuk, Iowa, where the emigrants pitched their tents for the first time, and lay in camp for several weeks before starting for the plains.

In the meantime the emigrants received their teams, consisting of oxen and wagons. Some of the Scandinavian emigrants, who at first rejected the American ways of driving oxen in yokes, went to work and manufactured harness in regular Danish fashion; but no sooner were these placed on the animals than they, frightened half to death, struck out in a wild run, refusing to be guided at all by the lines in the hands of their new masters from the far north. Crossing ditches and gulches in their frenzy, parts of the wagons were strewn by the way side; but the oxen, (many of which had never been hitched up before) were at last stopped by men who understood how to manipulate that most important article of all teamsters outfits--the whip; and the Danish emigrants, profiting by the experience they had gained, soon concluded that, although harness might do well enough for oxen in Denmark, the yoke and whip were preferable in America; and they readily accepted the method of their adopted country.

With thirty-four wagons and about one hundred and thirty oxen, the company rolled out from the camping ground near Keokuk on the twenty-first of May, and after three weeks rather difficult travel over prairies of Iowa, Council Bluffs, on the Missouri River, was reached. Here the company rested for several days, and on the twenty-seventh of June resumed the journey by crossing the Missouri River, after which they were soon far out on the plains. On the overland journey a number of the emigrants died, more children were born, and a few lost the faith in the midst of the hardships and trials of the long march. Finally on the thirtieth of September, 1853, the company arrived in Salt Lake City; and on the fourth of October the emigrants were nearly all rebaptized by Apostle Erastus Snow. They were counseled by President Brigham Young to settle in different parts of the Territory, and mix up with people of other nationalities, so as to become useful in developing the resources of the new country. Most of them located in Sanpete Valley, whither other companies from Scandinavia subsequently followed them, and that valley has ever since been known as the headquarters of the Scandinavians in Utah. Still President Young's advice has not been unheeded, as the people from the three countries of the north (Denmark, Sweden and Norway) are represented, to a greater or less extent, in nearly every town and settlement of the Saints in the Rocky Mountains.

(Millennial Star, Vol. XV, pp.89, 282, 368; Morgenstjernen, Vol. I, page 180.)"

"Sun. 16. [Jan. 1853] -- The ship Forest Monarch sailed from Liverpool, England, with 297 Scandinavian Saints, under John E. Forsgren's direction. The company arrived at New Orleans March 12th; at Keokuk, Iowa, in the beginning of April; and most of the emigrants reached G. [Great] S. [Salt] L. [Lake] City, Sept. 30th. This was the first large company of Saints who emigrated to Utah from Scandinavia."
Obituary notes for Eline Hansene (Spouse 2)
Newspaper: Deseret News, Salt Lake City, Utah, September 22, 1921
Funeral is Held for First Girl Convert in Denmark
(Special to the News.)
KAMAS, Sep. 22. -- Funeral services were held for Elena H. Lambert in the Kamas chapel Sunday and were largely attended by relatives and friends. Elder Joseph H. Smithies of the Kamas bishopric presided. Prayers were offered by William Richards and Elder Alstine. A mixed quarter furnished the music. Elders Joseph H. Smithies, Silas M. Pack and Mrs. Elva Lambert, president of the ward Relief society, and Ephraim Lambert were the speakers. All spoke highly of the deceased. The grave was dedicated by S.M. Pack.

Mrs. Lambert was born Sept. 13, 1836, in Copenhagen, Denmark, and was one of the first company of 15 that were baptised in Denmark, and was the first girl to join the church in that country. With her parents she emigrated to Utah, arriving in Salt Lake Sept. 30, 1852, walking nearly the whole distance across the plains. She married John Lambert in 1853. They moved to Kamas in 1861 and lived there ever since. She was the mother of 12 children, five of whom survive her: Joseph H. and Ephraim Lambert, Roosevelt; Mrs. Elena D. Michie, Tabiona; Mrs Cornelia Merrit, Lake Fork; Mrs. Emmeline Carpenter, Kamas. Her posterity numbers 166. She is also survived by one sister and one brother, Mary Oblad and John G. Larson, both of Salt Lake City.
Last Modified 23 Jul 2013Created 9 Jan 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh